Surface 5 - Sided Gap Challenge (Unsolved)

Monday, 2 December.

Rhinoceros 3D V5 for Windows

Since I began modelling the superstructure of my yacht, I’ve done a quite impressive research on the many ways or methods to surface 5 - sided gaps and have considered only three, but none of them seem accurate enough. I’m seeking for your professional response or assistance on surfacing.

Read below the aspects to consider and details or specifications of the model.

I’ve provided images of the yacht model since I’m not allowed to release the updated file version of the model, but I may share copy with minor modifications via email for you to examine.

Image A presents the yacht from the rear view

Image B presents the superstructure from the rear view.

I dislike how the surface fillet transitions out. The distance between the edge is of .125 mm and drastically increases to .570 mm (more than twice its value). The CV structure of the surface fillet has an uneven distribution and isn’t aesthetically good enough. This isn’t an option, so I would try to avoid this kind of methodology.

Image C presents an 5 - sided gap.

As you can see in the picture above, I have a chordal fillet on the side that transitions out as it gets to a point where it matches a surface fillet. As you might be thinking, the continuity between the surface and the chordal fillet is tangent (G1). I’ve tried but I believe it’s mathematically impossible to have curvature in this particular case but that’s not a problem at all. In order to close the gap, I’ve once considered to generate a patch but it’s kind of amateurish. As a results the quality of the surface wouldn’t be professional or meet the requirements for class A Surfacing.

Image D presents new method to surface the gap

In this method it’s ridiculously hard to maintain tangency between both surfaces. I wouldn’t consider this method. It isn’t accurate enough.

I’m asking you for a proper way to close the gap presented. It’s worth mentioning that by “proper” I mean the model to be good-looking and to fulfill the aesthetic requirements for class A surfacing. In fact, I’m seeking to maintain the aesthetics of image C but nonetheless, I still can’t close the gap. Is it possible? What new methodology would you implement?

Hope you find it interesting!

Thank you!

Oliver.

upload just that section, not the entire model so others can suggest you alternatives.

Yes I will! Thx for your reply!

The first example looks the best. I suggest to try to improve it from there.
Even control point distribution is easy when you reduce the amount of control points with the “Rebuild UV” command and then manually place them in a more appropriate location according to your liking. Then use “Match surface” to fit the surface to the nearby surface edges.

1 Like

Yes. Maybe you’re right. But I still believe that there has to be another version. Thanks for the support!

The usual strategy when it comes to corner cases is to overbuild and then trim away:

If you have a Pinterest account, search for “surface patch layout” and you will find much inspiration for similar solutions.

1 Like