Superscript in dimensions

is there a way to get the the “5” in an dimention like “1,885 m” superscript? It would really make my arcitecture drawings so much more readable :roll_eyes:

grafik

1 Like

Hello - no there is no provision for that that I know of.

-Pascal

I definitely would use this function. My drawings would have centimeteres as normal text and if greater than 0 (rounded to 1/10th of a milimeter) milimeteres as superscription text. Other Cad software packages are able to do this.

Hi -
The superscript and subscript feature request is on the list as RH-35493 and the foundation is now in place in Rhino 8. Exposing this in the UI is the next step.
-wim

In many german (or generally european) technical drawings, its either a superscripted 5 or nothing. (see below)

grafik

To archieve this we would need to be able to set the Linear Resolution in the Annotation Style to a value like .005 meters for example.

I’d love this feature, I think this way of dimensioning is really useful in architecture. The units are usually meters, and you rarely need anything more precice than 5 mm. But then again, 5 mm occurs quite often, because almost all of the standard building measurements in germany are based on brick dimensions, which is a grid of 125 mm.

@jasper you should be able to do this with these settings:

1 Like

Thats true, but only partly. The main problem is that it suppresses all trailing zeros, not just the last one. Also the last optional 5 isn’t superscripted, but thats mostly a cosmetic issue.

So I guess on my wishlist would be a numerical input field for the amount of trailing and leading zeros to suppress, plus one for how many trailing numbers will be superscripted. Might be quite a specific wish though :slight_smile:

Can you give an example of the result you would want to see? It’s not clear to me from the description and image.

I know, that’s on the list as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Let’s say I have a measurement of 0.105m and a measurement of 0.100m. My rhino units are Meters as well. I want the first measurement to be shown as .10⁵ and the second one as .10 . If I use “suppress trailing zeros”, I’ll get .1 for the second one, which is not what I want. Rhino would delete both zeros.

I think your method only works if my units are cm and all decimal places are either 5 or nothing. But in my case the 3rd decimal place would be 5 or nothing, which I don’t believe is possible right now.

In the old drawings I’ve shared above they just jumped from Meters to Centimeters whenever the measurement was <1 m. But that is a weird thing to do in CAD and in my opinion the .10⁵ with the decimal point is just as nice to look at as 10⁵.