Rethinking the (IN)convenience of the GH Canvas?

Often bothered by having to float around an extra bulky window for working in Grasshopper and Rhino, causing the entire workflow to feel like looking through a burqa (no religious bashing intended) rather than viewing into my project with eyes wide open, I would very much appreciate it if we’d have the Grasshopper viewport directly in Rhino as a superimposed layer, I believe the advantages should be clear.

Some of you may have seen this already, @DavidRutten any thoughts, can you make us happy, at least in the next major release of Grasshopper 2?

1 Like

It may be possible to run a GH canvas inside a Rhino viewport without too much extra work, but it’s not going to be running on top of a Rhino viewport with 3D content.

For one how would you distinguish between selection events? If you draw a selection frame, did you mean to select GH components or Rhino objects? What about mouse navigation? Canvas pan or viewport pan?

I personally really hate the visual clutter this superposition yields, but I’ll admit that is just, like, my opinion dude.

2 Likes

Imho rudy dudy

one click on the viewport locks the components
one click on a component locks the viewport

supermaximizing viewport →

• less swiveling/zooming GH components
• more productive, better overview

• make it a hide-able layer and all are happy.

this had me thinking for a while. it would obviously already be a major step up in having it closer to the model and having it more convenient to work with, but here a few questions.

how would you implement such an additional canvas, since 4 viewports already take their places, thinking of it as a 4 view there will be one too much. and 4 view would be an important solution to provide a fast and native integration. how would you implement a 5th here anyway if not in there. or could you exchange one, possibly one which you dont use that often or would that not show up at all in 4 view?

i could also settle with having a 5 view in case of working with grasshopper.

any thoughts on that already?

and what may be equally if not more important, would that new viewport also behave like all the others, meaning that you could maximize it and switch to others with for example a middle mouse button macro?

__
i get the feeling that my initial “idea” did not launch a huge avalanche, maybe also because people got very much used to having a fiddly extra window blocking the view. i mean i have a 32 inch screen but grasshopper just never sits right.

at least for me, its not comfortable to work with the grasshopper canvas in its current “implementation” which is not an implementation at all to be frank. i know it came from the side as a plug in but since a new grasshopper version is cooking this may be hopefully the place to address it and have a serious thought or two.

Keyboard shortcut to switch between Rhino and GH selection, maybe?