Super slow elevation

I’m trying to generate elevation view but this process is very slow 25 minutes. Am I doing something wrong ?

Is this time normal for generating drawings???

The time it takes is relative to the complexity of the model. It would help to understand your model, what it looks like, etc, in order to evaluate if 25 minutes is a long time or not.

If you can post something, we can take a look at what is taking time.

this is the building. 25 minutes is very long time compares to revit . Model is mesh because it’s very heavy to work with NURBS.

Hi @Simeon_Simeonov,

Meshes are very slow to process because they need to be converted to poly-surfaces (one surface per mesh triangle), as Make2D in Rhino 5 does not support meshes. This process is slow and requires a large amount of memory.

Have you tried VisualARQ 2 RC? In VisualARQ 2 we have implemented realtime elevations and sections, and they work with meshes natively. This feature is integrated into the Sections panel, and allows you to see a elevation or section on a viewport or layout detail. This sections viewports support jogged sections, section attributes, vector output printing, they does not generate curves or blocks that increases the document size, and as I mentioned earlier, they are realtime and supports all kind of objects, including meshes without converting them to poly-surfaces.

Regards,

Enric

1 Like

Thank you. I will try Va2RC

RC have new handy features , but when I tried to generate an elevation drawing (dwg for autocad postprocess) , then… began eternity. More than 2 hours and finaly my PC freezes. PC config AMD FX 6cores and 32GB of RAM, not super strong but not weak computer. Hope you will think about this in next releases.

Hi @Simeon_Simeonov,

VisualARQ 2 should be as fast (or as slow if you prefer) as VisualARQ 1.9 when updating plan or section views. We have no plans to improve mesh support on section view. We want to add a command to export the contents of a “hidden” viewport or detail to a DWG (or any other available format) file.

But it is strange than the same model takes so much more time in VisualARQ 2. Can you send it to us (visualarq@asuni.com) so we can test it here?

Thanks,

Enric

Hi @Simeon_Simeonov,

I’ve been working the last days adding native support for meshes into VisualARQ plan and section views. Moreover, I’ve optimized the HLR (Hidden Line Removal) algorithm, specially for large models like yours.

I’ve used a model that is a subset of the the model you sent me to make some tests. It contains around 4200 meshes, and here are the results:

• VisualARQ 2.0 RC2 = 550 seconds
  • VisualARQ 2.0 RC3 = 18 seconds

So as you can see, there is a 30x speed improvement between RC2 and RC3. I get similar results between VisualARQ 1.9 and VisualARQ 2.0 RC2, so the improvement between 1.9 and RC3 is the same.

Generating the section that came in the document you sent, my computer takes 75 seconds, which is a lot better than 2 hours, but still there is room for improvement. My computer is not as fast as yours, so you should get even shorter times.

Compared to the RC2 implementation, lines generated from meshes have more quality, and I try to join all connected segments into long curves.

There are some limitations too:

• No section hatches on cut meshes yet, but I’ll add it before releasing RC3.
  • Mesh Boolean (user to cut meshes) on Rhino 5 are not perfect and sometimes some extra lines may appear.

One more thing: in the model there are a lot of open meshes that should be repaired (they seem to be closed but they have naked edges) in order to get good results, specially if you cut this objects by the section, as if the object is open, the cut mesh won’t be capped. Moreover, closed meshes will be faster to process as I can discard all back-faces making the process faster. You can use MeshRepair command to fix this issue.

Here is the download link for a snapshot build of VisualARQ 2.0 RC3 for Rhino 5 (x64), so you can test the new algorithm on your computer:
https://visualarq.s3.amazonaws.com/download/visualarq-2.0.9.11575-rhino5-x64-setup-snapshot.msi

Please, let me know the results.

Regards,

Enric

2 Likes

![1|690x388]
17 minutes for long elevation . Tf- by default.
3 minutes for short section . Tolerance factor 0.1
AMAZING speed improvement.
When I change Tolerance factor drawing disappeared. I try to update but nothing.

Awesome work . I like VA rc3

Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi @Simeon_Simeonov,

I’m glad the new version works better for you. I think than 17 minutes is still too much, and I’ll try to improve it. I hope we can reduce it to less than 10 minutes for VisualARQ 2 release.

During my tests using your document, I have discovered now than almost 30% of the time is spent adding the curves to a block in the document and then generating the display cache. I think this code has never been optimized for such a large model, so I think we can also improve this part.

If you don’t mind, I will keep your document as a test model until we release VisualARQ 2. Then I’ll delete it.

What tolerance factor are you using? If you put the original tolerance factor, does the section view work again?

Regards,

Enric

1 Like

I change tolerance factor from default 1 to 0.1. Then drawing gone.
http://www.visualarq.com/support/tips/9969/

I followed this tip

Which one of the two sections have this problem? The long elevation or the short section?

Enric

long elevation

I tried to generate backside elevation - 18 minutes and no drawing. Strange lines appears.