Suggestion for making layout space faster

When a layout drawing has a lot of details with a very intricate model in them, Rhino can slow down. A lot.

The workaround I am currently using is to make the display mode in all the details wireframe while I’m working on it and switch them to shaded or rendered mode when printing. I even have a script from Peter Harris (Detailstools) that helps streamline this.

Having recently discovered the BBox Display checkbox in the Display panel, – which helps us move around in modelspace faster - I noticed that this also works in layout space, but it doesn’t seem to make much difference in speed. Any thoughts?

(Bob McNeel) #2

This is an area that @stevebaer is working on for Rhino 6. Sorry I don’t have more news for you yet.

(Steve Baer) #3

Probably the best you can do for now is hide details that you currently don’t need to work on. I realize this isn’t all that great of a suggestion, but letting Rhino draw fewer things will just make the display faster.

That’s a good suggestion. One could put certain layer configurations on an alias and hit the alias to turn off the heaviest geometry.

Thank you.

@stevebaer. I have been working in layout mode with BBox Display on and I am happy to say it is a BIG improvement.
Thank you.