SubD union help

This is nothing like mesh mixer, because it is all about keeping a quad based topology.

2 Likes

This is why we can’t have nice things :man_facepalming:t2:

Sorry,… very confused!

meshmixer by Ryan Schmidt, to be fair…

Funny how Autodesk apparently* bought Meshmixer from Ryan, but only ‘rented’ Ryan for a couple of years. He’s now making modeling tools for Epic games.

Same story as with Tsplines, VSR, etc. All those people only seem to last there for a few years (is that time required to work there as part of their transition agreement post acquisition?)

This is so awesome @DanielPiker ! I was working with these kind of connections and bridges in a combined fashion with mirrors and subD’s in Pufferfish.

Can’t wait to use these new tools. Also, that car is something from Sid’s house in Toy Story haha.

tenor

3 Likes

It looks like the new SubDThickenCurves command.

sorry had a look into this https://youtu.be/mOgC8lFE6tI
We did a live demo at Siggraph Asia and we are trying to find some way to include this into some 3D packages

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to this!

Great Work, this is gonna be awesome!

1 Like

@DanielPiker Any news on this? I think this will be extremely helpful in creating live ‘booleans’ in developing a shape, so that you can keep things simple and separate during modeling.

6 Likes

Hi @DanielPiker,

I was really awaiting this new “fuse” tool to appear in every wip version update since you announced it, but it didn’t come.
Rh 7 Beta has been released last week and it’s been said that no new tools are going to be added to the 7 version. Did I get it right ?
Do you know if it is going to be included in an updated of the recently released Beta version?
I’m sure many users would like to try it, and it would put the subd package on a higher level.

Regards,

Joan

3 Likes

Daniel, you are our hope. :smiley:

1 Like

When version 7 will be released (as I understand it soon-ish) a new V8 WIP will start immediately after.
So even if this SunD “fuse” tool won’t make it into V7 (which is almost guaranteed as things are) you probably won’t have to wait too long to test it.

Hi @norbert_geelen,

Let’s wait @DanielPiker answers the question. The tool was in an advanced stage as per what he showed in this video, and that was on April’s end so there must be a compelling reason not to added it in the Beta version.
If I ( and I guess many other users ) have to wait for a 8 wip version, well, I won’t have a tantrum :crazy_face: , we the unconditional McNeel’s followers are used to wait and it is one of our main features :hugs:(fondly said ) and we’ll wait.

Regards,

Joan

Great Daniel for your “subd Fuse” in gh.

1 Like

Will it be released in v8?

Hi @mdesign,

This tool is available in Grasshopper now, even in v7.
However, to manage expectations - it is still in an early stage, and currently only works well when objects intersect along simple loops of faces.
So for example:

The left one works, as the 2 objects intersect along simple loops.
The middle one currently fails, because the intersection is a sort of figure eight.
The right one also fails because the intersection loops are contained within only 1 or 2 faces of the larger mesh.
I’m working to improve this, and also include it as a Rhino command.

8 Likes

Maybe a stupid question,

But to test,
What is the “subd union / fuse / boolean commands” name?

It could already serve purpose in many conceptual design iterations :wink:

Best regards,
GPK

This is currently only as a Grasshopper component.
Here is a simple example:
fuse_basic.gh (31.2 KB)

To replace with your own input objects, right click one of the components at the start and choose ‘set one SubD’.

If you right click the O parameter of the Fuse component you can choose between Union/Intersect/Subtract.
It will update as you move the objects around in Rhino, then when you are happy with the result, Right click the component at the end and choose ‘Bake’.