SubD union help

This seems like it could potentially also work as a huge upgrade to fatten if we use GH to position struts and nodes and then fuse them all.

Or are you working on a fatten upgrade separate to this?

1 Like

Hey, @vikthor, what’s the “Q+” component?

And have you tried running the output of that definition into the WIP mesh to subd component instead of Wb Catmull clark? You might be able to remesh with a lot less faces if the end result is subD.

Hmm, I hadn’t thought of it like that.
The fatten rewrite is a separate thing, though I guess there are some connections in the ideas used.
There might be some cases where you would want to fuse struts together like this, but I think in general for making clean junctions of 4 sided pipes, a specific fatten tool for this works better.

I was thinking about pipe with more than 4 sides.

There’s no SubD theory posted anywhere that I can find, at least nothing akin to the detailed explanations of curves and surfaces that are in many tutorials, so I started to do some experiments to figure some stuff out: for example, to get better than 1% tolerance of a true circular cross section using subD, you need a ten sided pipe. (not that the look of four sided pipes in a subD lattice isn’t cool. one of the first things I did when I got the WIP was run Mesh+ lattices to fatten to subD. It’s easy and beautiful.)

So I’m hoping there will be a way to work with many sided struts, and this fuse tool seems like it might have potential for that. I’d also toyed with using polyhedra converted to SubD as the basis for nodes multibranched blends, and they can come out looking pretty good, which may be another application I’d attempt to use fuse for, because doing it manually is very tedious.

are the quad remesh settings in rhino wip
yes i have already used the subd options in grasshopper on past occasions

1 Like

Thanks!

With fatten the hard part is making nodes where each connection has the same number of sides. Otherwise you end up with struts needing to connect with different numbers of edges at either end, so you have to introduce triangles along their length and the subd structure gets a lot messier.
Now I have all-4-sided struts working though, increasing this to struts with multiples of 4 sides is pretty easy. Here’s with simple subdivision

but one potential advantage of using more sides I haven’t used here yet is that it should be possible to reduce the twist along the struts, since you have more options for how to match the rings at start and end.

4 Likes

This is way over my head, but from playing around with the node blend problem in manual drawing, I totally get that many circumstances force me to create triangle or penta faces in order to get good looking results.

The current version of fatten is pretty reliable for four way intersections, are you saying the new one is totally reliable or that it’s going to do even more?

The currently released version of fatten gives a horrible result for something like the node on the left in the image above where 6 skeleton edges come together, because it always tried to find one axis per node and arrange connections radially around this.
The new one doesn’t have this limitation.

2 Likes

Nice. Yes, the twisting in the current version is why I mostly used it on relatively simple lattices that I made by using various components from the Mesh+ “make” panel, applied to gently warped surfaces.

Very much looking forward to using the new version. My output for it is CNC routed wood, which presents a minor challenge in terms of how to break it down into parts, but the potential for what it can do in terms of building real world objects is really really cool.

@DanielPiker, can you please post that file. We need to 3D print this. It’s too epic to leave it as a screenshot experiment only :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

G

2 Likes

Here you are :grinning:
ExampleModelsMashup.3dm (2.0 MB)
also - last shot didn’t show the triceratops on the trunk

-the human and triceratops heads have eye openings which would need to be closed for 3d printing

6 Likes

Oooh… it’s even an El Camino :clap:t4::clap:t4::clap:t4::clap:t4::clap:t4:

Looks like a Lotus Europa to me. (I may be showing my age}. Lotus Europa - Wikipedia

Added: A S1/S2 Europa with the Renault engine based on the higher “sail panels”.

5 Likes

"Hyperfusion360 "
We don’t use that type of salty language around here… :wink:

Hey @DanielPiker.
Just out of interest: are your “fusion"-booleans based on this research?
Link

Cheers, Norbert

Hey @norbert_geelen
Indeed - that paper was an inspiration. I don’t exactly follow their approach, but it’s similar.

1 Like

Thanks. Can’t wait to try it.
:+1:t2:

Hi
Is this tool in the new version?
Or not finished?

That good,
In ““Mehmixer””,…
I think there was something similar since 1783 … + - 1810?
hahaha
Do not hurry !