SubD Background Object Snapping

Is there a way to have new SubD objects snap to a background object to maintain the same 3D form?

I’m a shoe designer and I create lasts in SubD that give us the general shape for a shoe. It would be great if we could have new SubD objects snap to a background object so I don’t need to manually reform each new piece for the shoe on the last.

Thank you,
Justin

Hi Justin - What do you mean exactly? Do you want to snap vertices to an existing SubD’s vertices?

-Pascal

I have this last, which is a SubD object.

I want to draw a heel overlay as a new SubD object.

However if I just draw the sideview it’s completely flat and doesn’t conform to the other SubD object.

Is there a way to draw new SubD objects and have them automatically be conformed to another SubD object similar to this?

Thanks,
Justin

Hi Justin - I think I might start with ExtractSrf > Copy=Yes and pull them right out of the last.

-Pascal

That works great to get a base piece.

But usually that’s not going to give me the correct shape, especially with more complex overlay pieces such as the toe overlay on this shoe.
Complex_Toe_Overlay

If I edit the new SubD surface, it doesn’t maintain the extracted 3D shape. It deforms and you can see it intersecting with the other object.

So this would still require a lot of manual editing to conform to the other shape with an offset.
Is there a way to have it constrained to a background object while editing the topology?

Thanks,
Justin

1 Like

you can project a subd to another subd-

check this out-

so in this situation, you’d project “panels” onto the underlying last, and then bridge them together once they are projected into their correct position…

project from orthographic views then bridge over the gaps between the projections.

1 Like