SubD as a Cage

In the same way we can use a Surface as a cage, is there a way a SubD can be used in the same way? With the notion of ‘Thickness’ that is affacted, again like surfaces (or height of region to edit, I forget).

Would be good since a SubD is nice to deform, and could allow for small local deforms.

Maybe under the hood it could work, even if it’s only with Quad topolgy objects, that form a rectangular patch.

Thanks for the suggestion… filed as https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-59608

Thanks Brian. This was something I’ve wondered about for a while, since when you work on a last (in footwear) you want to relax it afterwards, ideally.

Have you seen this?:

1 Like

Thanks Daniel - I will try it!

At the moment, you can use two methods for local or global deformations for faces SubD:

• SoftTransform
    Or
  • Move Gumball to the right position, from this position use standard Gumball features

Hi Daniel,

I got this:

An error occured during GHA assembly loading:
Path: C:\Users\j.hutchinson\AppData\Roaming\Grasshopper\Libraries\Fattener.gha
Exception System.IO.FileLoadException:
Message: Could not load file or assembly ‘file:///C:\Users\j.hutchinson\AppData\Roaming\Grasshopper\Libraries\Fattener.gha’ or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)
Exception System.NotSupportedException:
Message: An attempt was made to load an assembly from a network location which would have caused the assembly to be sandboxed in previous versions of the .NET Framework. This release of the .NET Framework does not enable CAS policy by default, so this load may be dangerous. If this load is not intended to sandbox the assembly, please enable the loadFromRemoteSources switch. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=155569 for more information.

Loaded up Rhino WIP, Grasshopper, dragged and dropped to special components, unblock, restart. Grasshopper has Mesh Cage Morph from Fattener V 0.0.0.1 regarded as unknown.

Edit - Okay got it, I had to zip it up as a workaround to getting an IT guy to download it for me. Unblocked the zip rather than unzipping and unblocking the gha. Does that sound right, or was that just a chance circumstance?

Glad it is working for you now.
I think what sometimes goes wrong with unblocking is that Grasshopper ends up loading a different copy of a dll or gha from the one you’ve unblocked (typically one in your downloads folder and the other in your roaming/grasshopper/libraries folder). You also need to fully quit Rhino for unblocking to have effect, not just gh.