Subd and named selections for rapid iteration

You’re right. You had to put your mouse over the command line if you wanted to type a command while T-Splines hotkey mode was active.

HA!!! I’m old, and slow. And I also forget things, but then conversations bring back memories. And now I remembered that @BrianJ had some secret KungFU macro that would make brush selections actually useful.

I managed to replicate it here:

Shouldn’t this be part of your default toolset?

How do I do now Sub-Object marquee-selection without Select-through?

I tried, and I cannot figure out how to do this:

Sure, we have shared good selection workflows before, many many times. But here it is again, in case you missed them before. This video is dealing with marquee-click-paint select combined very seamlessly. And combined also with select-though vs. select visible equally seamlessly IMO:

Keep in mind the most important part here:

1. It’s all ONE tool
  2. you never have to click more than one modifier: either Shift to add or Crtl to remove.
  3. you can do click-paint-marquee based on how/where you click (or click-hold) your mouse
  4. you can work in any shading mode, which has its own default and its own override.

So yeah, coming to the workflow you guys have here is absolutely painful in comparison. And I’m just talking about manual selections here. We haven’t even started to talk about selection growing/shrinking/by angle/conversion of types/borders/patterns…

I just need you guys to have at least just the basics right. Currently it’s waaaaay too much friction. And I worry that you are all either completely unaware of how not good enough this is, or you are deflecting our feedback because you don’t want/can’t/refuse to make this good enough. Both situations are really bad.

G

2 Likes

command line has an option for selct thru on paint selection

we know it’s not right and are working on it… thanks for the video- I agree about the friction. I am personally chasing friction points on this stuff.

Ha! I see. So you were basically baiting me, like the Brians, Scott and Bob always do, to get me to do more benchmark, bug reporting and documentation for you.

I’m such a sucker, I don’t fall for it with them as much anymore. I just didn’t see you being such a quick study of the ‘Confucius School’.

I’m going to kick you ass Kyle when social distancing is over :rofl::rofl::rofl:

G

:heart:

Right. I think there were a couple of different ways to type a single command when in the hotkey mode

• Hover mouse over command line
  • Have already started typing a command
  • Hotkey (maybe \, I forget) would allow you to start typing a command
  • Esc would exit and ctrl-space would toggle the mode
2 Likes