Sub-Object Manipulation

I would really appreciate some input on the following, please see attached image and 3dm.
On some very simple polysurfaces, when you drag a face the shape gets distorted, is this the way the command should behave?

Sub-Object Manipulation.3dm(481.6 KB)

Thanks, Yianni

How about showing us these objects with control points turned on? Maybe show us the detailed object properties list?

I assume you simply slid the top flat face in the red direction and pulled it in the blue direction?

Hi,
Yes, I just select the top face of the polysurface and drag along red arrow.
It is a simple pipe, nothing fancy about it.The file is attached on my original post if you want to replicate.

Here is the detailed object properties list:
polysurface
ID: 4b41496f-ac84-4f5d-b531-31c57e6faaf7 (5)
Layer name: Layer 00
Render Material:
source = from layer
index = -1
Geometry:
Valid polysurface.
Closed solid polysurface with 3 surfaces.
Edge Tally:
1 seam edges
2 manifold edges
= 3 total edges
Edge Tolerances: all 0
Vertex Tolerances: all 0
Render mesh: 3 quality meshes 3481 vertices 3324 polygons
Analysis mesh: none present
Geometry UserData:
UserData ID: 2544A64E-220D-4d65-B8D4-611BB57B46C7
Plug-in: Rhino
description: RhinoCommon UserDictionary
saved in file: no
copy count: 1
curve
ID: c6737d68-e081-4e92-9472-60c7a9a485ad (4)
Layer name: Layer 00
Render Material:
source = from layer
index = -1
Geometry:
Valid curve.
Line
start = (-10,0,0)
end = (-10,0,10.8302)
domain = 0 to 10.8302
line length = 10.8302
Geometry UserData:
UserData ID: 2544A64E-220D-4d65-B8D4-611BB57B46C7
Plug-in: Rhino
description: RhinoCommon UserDictionary
saved in file: no
copy count: 1

Thanks,

Yianni

Hi Yianni- it sure looks wrong to me, thanks. When bug track items are, eventually, made public you will be able to see it here

http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-21002

-Pascal

Thank you Pascal !
It was puzzling me for months now.

I happily installed SR5 but was surprised there was no fix for this issue.
I never complain on the Rhino forum but this is kind of big for me.
Sub object manipulation was one of the big highlights for V5, the report I made shows that it fails under very simple conditions.
So I need to ask, when is this going to be addressed?

Hi Yianni- I’ll check with @rajaa, but my guess is that this is not a trivial thing to fix. Rajaa, I am guessing this is in your bailiwick of MoveEdge and MoveFface etc, right?

-Pascal

Hi Yianni,

Yes, this is not trivial for sub-object editing. You can achieve what you are looking for using cageedit with simple boundingbox cage and 2 points in x, y & z (attached).

In general, sub-object editing deforms the edges to the new location after transformation, then refits the faces or surfaces using original location of the surface and the new edges. This is why it might give unexpected result in what appears to be a trivial case like yours.
sub_object.3dm(351.6 KB)

Hi Rajaa,
Thank you for coming in to to help, Cage editing was very helpful when it was introduced in V4, and continues to be an irreplaceable tool in V5.
I only attached a simple file because it makes a clear example. I hope you will agree that, although it resolves this particular exercise it is not a way around this weakness.

Hello everybody,

I want to bump this issue that is a glitch ever since UDT in Rhino got introduced.
Am I the only one who finds this bug an issue that needs fixing?