Sub D challenge 3!

see below-

Hi @theoutside
Quick vid of a (very) stylized skull. My main problem was the reflect command. Sometimes it’s leaving weird gaps or deleting faces or adding creases. I’ll see if I can make something repeatable for you to look at! I also had a couple of teeth the refused to have their gumball reset - but again, not repeatable in this case.
-Jakob

7 Likes

Awesome!! thanks for the video! I love how you started from a sphere and then subdivided to get extra faces. Quick, easy, and effective.

Logically this works well, I’d encourage you to try and only add faces when absolutely necessary, since that make global and smoother transforms easier to keep track of. Adding faces that don;t get used is just complication and opportunity for inflection in your forms. I try to remove stuff constantly until the model falls apart and then add that last face or edge back in. That way the model stays as light as possible and very easy to manage.

BUT…this is well done and a great example of the many many way to get to an solution based on personal preference.

Now, start playing with named selections and use them for poses, expressions, etc…

I was having so much fan using it.
The tool is Super Awesome.

I toolbarreset but I loose my custom toolbars
Since vertion 1 have loos more than 1000 modifications made in the tab.
I usually finish coping and past form Rhino 6 one by one more time for each element of each button.

SOLUTION
Copy and past buttons inside Button Editor

As a work around suggest implementing copy and past inside the Button Editor
So I can copy all that is inside the Button Editor and past it inside other Button Editor

And drawing two triangles to simulate a line instead of native Graphics.DrawLine?
There are some chances that drawing a line is slower than two triangles.

Hello,
I can’t hotkey “Shift +Tab”
It is so hard coded that you can’t exclude it when SHIFT is press?

For example
Flip the camera (xyz-1) every 32 fps and create a 2k texture and use it in a render texture shader material for making real-time reflection on a simple small plane. Or by using RTX or Dx12 raytracing reflection.
So that the designer can place the mirror where he want to inspect the model or make symmetry. We make half of the car and the other half is reflected whale we are working in every display mode. This allowed us to inspect curves or complex model. Now we do that manually using Record history or via Grasshopper but is complex.

Save your toolbars in a custom RUI file, not in default.rui.

1 Like

I created a dedicated thread: How to preserve custom buttons after a "toolbar reset" is applied?

Can you answer that there?

No, I’m running out of time
I will try to make a new tread:

But some similar thread: SubD to Nurbs G0 continuity problem

I’m asking to make a new SubD using G0 or second degree using point weight 0.73

I make an object as an example

are you aiming towards a developable surface by wanting to use degree 2?

1 Like

Exaclly,

Aiming towards a developable surface by using SubD use degree 2.
Actually I use degree 2 in my surface. but it is very difficult in the modification process. SubD workflow is better and I have been wondering this since the first time I saw 3DStudio 90s?
Some transportation design example by using second degree polysurface (in one direction) in Rhino 3D.

2 Likes

sub d will not be ever be degree 2… degree 3 at least to the best of my knowledge, as as such unless it’s dead straight extruded, will not be developable.

I try to push Rhino developers in this direction as much as I can.
Towards degree manipulation.
There is a specific thread for this talk:

Hello
For me, the most difficult thing is still knowing how to handle ““Symmetry”” well
I haven’t fully understood it yet.
(For example:‘whit or whitout RecordHistory’?)
(

fast).

Good tool but one must be master !.
Greetings

1 Like

Try the reflect command instead of symmetry- it has history and allows you to work both sides of the model simultaneously- don;t be afraid to kill reflect as needed and then re-invoke it later as it suits your needs.

Thanks

Tests Video :…https://youtu.be/2e69s3xTb1E
Greetings

2 Likes

can you post your wire frame?

Hello
Thanks for your reply,
Here is the wireframe.

** Honestly, I still think I’m learning to model with that new Tool, and then sometimes I think I still have a chaotic Process, ---- going from Mesh to SubD and from there to Poly again and back to SubD sometimes, which I finally have so many options, I don’t even know which part is which, and I select the best one, and I try to follow what I like the most.
(Sure, I have SubD layers, another Poly, and another mesh).
Because it looks like this in the video, I’m not sure apply several steps, back and forth … haha.

I would really love to come back to this, when I have more free time,
because it is interesting when one approaches the real model.
(I don’t like anything even that wireframe / nothing real yet,
but it was very fast)
—Imagine, the “hand” sketch is part of a Facial Anatomy course for artists, --years ago–
and I still like it much more! (It’s mine, of course)-----.
…I see a clown on the wireframe, not a skull

Sincere greetings
Claudio

1 Like

interesting… how did you get to that mesh with all those triangles? I’d aim for quads where ever possible

Nice challenge Kyle…thank you for posting.

Biggest frustration was doing tweaks using control points. I don’t know if I’m seeing a bug possibly with the reflect command or just bad modeling on my part. The top of the skull (dome) I originally created using a ball primitive (minimal surfaces) and modifying for the head. Late in the model, an area of the head towards the front would crease when I moved a control point at the jaw and throw off certain surfaces where vertex meet, which would require deleting a face and reworking. Anyway, maybe someone else has had this problem.

Good stuff:

• Liked workflow starting from primitive form to more complicated modeling in areas of detail
  • Teeth detail…while not necessarily skull realistic, was easy to distort/distress with simple tools
  • Liking control point manipulation of surface features, allowing to quickly move areas. Exception was a control point located at the top of the head on the reflect axis which would jump out of place unexpectedly.
  • Small file size
  • Nice end results

Tool notes/annoyances:

• Creases seem to come and go…randomly it seems, but probably not.
  • Trouble picking Sub-D edges using Bridge tool…selection doesn’t always work
  • Sometimes after using Bridge command, screen freezes and cannot rotate, move for a few seconds
  • Insert Point to Mesh or Sub-D command doesn’t always seem to work.
  • Reflect command seems to work pretty well, when I Remeshed the original model, the result was not exactly symmetrical.

Might be helpful to have:

• Ability to see both Smooth / Non-Smooth sub_d objects simultaneously – maybe already exists (split viewports?)
  • Remesh Selected Sub-D Surface ie. Single surface is Remeshed to Specified #
  • Remove Point to Mesh Sub_D (obvious request…opposite of Insert Point to Mesh)

Started off the skull as sphere primitive.

The annoying point at the top of the head was a battle I lost…I would fix it, and it would reappear.

The vertex at the top of the skull seemed to flip into a different state at some point when moving control points in another area of the model.

Moving control point connected to jaw

Results in the a point creation at the top of the head and other surface anomalies

Original model on left, model on right filtered through Quadremesh. Point on top of head less noticeable on Remesh.

Teeth detail…started with quad surfaces and hacked away…extrude, rotate, delete surfaces

Quadremesh left to right. Original, Target Quad Count: 500, 200 and 100. Noted that the Quadremesh picked up the point on the top of the head at 100. The resulting Remesh of the original is not exactly symmetrical if looked at closely.

The original Sub_D model on left has a weird top of head…this seems to have flipped on it’s own after moving a control point.

1 Like