Stud framing and construction

Is there any such tool in Rhino?

2 Likes

The product shown in the video you posted (PlusDesignBuild) is a plug-in/add-on for SketchUp. Donā€™t know anything about it, but hereā€™s their website:

Looks like subscription price is $2388 for first year, then $1088 a year (includes SketchUp subscription).

-Kevin

1 Like

Sketchup along with carefully selected plug-ins is a great construction modelling tool; arguably equal to much more expensive software (knowing what youā€™re doing is more important than the software itself, regardless of what anyone says). Rhino is ā€˜similarā€™ to Sketchup in a lot of ways (normally Iā€™d get in trouble for saying that but in this particular context I should avoid all of that heat): Both Rhino and Sketchup are great platforms for Plug-ins, Extensions, or whatever you want to call them. For reasonā€™s Iā€™m not so sure about, Sketchup has a much larger selection of plugins (maybe a larger user base?). Rhino perhaps has a greater amount of untapped potential.

Anyways, before I ramble on too long, I just want to say Iā€™d be thrilled if this sort of thing was made available for Rhino. Iā€™m doing something similar at the moment but for Concrete (basically modelling the building like it will actually be built as this is apparently next to impossible in Revit). Everything I need exists in the software already, I just need to perfect my workflow. I may however make some tools later down the road if I can get better at C#.

One of the things that make the plugin architecture so accessible to SketchUp is that the plugins and SketchUp are written in Ruby.

Can you elaborate? Iā€™m curious what advantage is gained by using Ruby.

Ruby isnā€™t an inferior language to say, Python, but it is less common. Especially for API languages for design programs. Itā€™s kind of an outlier/oddball in that sense.

Speaking from my discipline, itā€™s unfortunate that most of our field (architecture) lacks the investments is design software despite the hype around it. Most of my colleagues prefer SketchUp for the easier learning curve and Revit /ArchiCAD for what we call it BIM. Contactors call it (VDC) . We had to understand that we are a part of a bigger industry that favors big purchasers. Like big construction companies.

Part of my day job .working for a design /engineering firm with 200+ employees, I get a lot of interactions with with subcontractors/ vendors who focus their energy on something that being developed as a promise for us to solve a productivity gap and they always focus on bigger business. Although most of these tools are either gimmicky or simply doesnā€™t meet the promised functionality. Throwing the acronyms (BIM/VDC) will always help.

Also marketing for BIM is much easier. Instead of building a community trust. You just need to convince one person ā€œThe BIM Managerā€ to make a seven figure purchase agreement.

I recall attending AU 2014 with a ā€œGenslerā€ Badge. And people were chasing me like a hot chick. That was the only time in my life feeling important. And a huge boost for my fragile ego.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one who came to this conclusion.

1 Like