Strange display glitches upgrading to Rhino 7

I just upgraded to rhino 7 but I have some strange glitches that appear when opening and saving files. AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 64 Gb ram processor. My video card is an Nvidia Quadro Rtx 5000 with the latest drivers installed. The files are saved to a dropbox folder. It is very frustrating because it blocks the workflow

Hi Cesare -
Please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here.
Also, please describe the glitches that are related to opening and saving. What kind of glitch? Only when opening or saving? Where are your files stored? Does it happen when you launch Rhino with a factory-default template, make a box, and save that file? Which Rhino version were you using previously?
-wim

Hi Wim. Thanks! Here the System info:
Rhino 7 SR1 2020-12-8 (Rhino 7, 7.1.20343.09491, Git hash:master @ 350b20978b4fcd75493212fbd3c4248983612f86)
License type: Commerciale, build 2020-12-08
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000 (NVidia) Memory: 16GB, Driver date: 12-11-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 460.89
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #0
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #1
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #2

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-11-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6089
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 16 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Scan&Solve Pro for Rhino 6\SnSPro_Rhino6.rhp “Scan&Solve Pro for Rhino” 1.0.0.0
C:\Program Files\SimLab\Plugins\SimLab 3D PDF From Rhino 6\plugins\SimLabPDFExporter.rhp “SimLab PDF Exporter”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\KeyShot10RhinoPlugin (ccedd9da-83b9-429a-aec5-8ec90b85fe67)\1.0.0.0\KeyShot10RhinoPlugin\Rhino 5.0\KeyShot10RhinoPlugin.rhp “KeyShot10RhinoPlugin” 1.0.0.0
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\KeyShot9RhinoPlugin (ecfe8d1f-876a-460f-aa5e-3dd816936811)\1.0.0.0\KeyShot9RhinoPlugin\Rhino 5.0\KeyShot9RhinoPlugin.rhp “KeyShot9RhinoPlugin” 1.0.0.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.1.20343.9491
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.1.20343.9491
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.1.20343.9491
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\PanelingTools (6caed836-bc06-4ebc-b1fd-e10886a0dc94)\2018.12.17.906\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.1.20343.9491
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.1.20343.9491
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

No bad mesh or geometries are present. Also old file from V5 or 6 make this strange behaviour. When it happens nothing in rhino ui responds

Hello - can you please, with only one instance of Rhino running, block Scan&Solve, Keyshot, and SimLab in Options > Plug-ins page, and then close and restart Rhino - does the problem persist?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, many thanks for your suggestion. Indeed, your suspicion could make sense. I have disabled all Keyshot, Simlab and S&S plugins but the glitch persists and has not disappeared. The only way to continue working is to log out and switch windows users. Upon returning, everything went back to normal. Frankly I don’t understand. Excluding a priori a Quadro drivers compatibility issue, maybe Dropbox could be a suspect but I can’t figure how

Hi Cesare - if you open one of the problematic files and save it as V7 to your local disk - say the desktop, then open that file in a new instance of Rhino, does it behave?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
thanks also for this attempt. Even this suggestion could actually solve the problem. I copied the file (but also an old model safe in Rhino 6 format) on disk C to see if it was due to write permissions or other due to Dropbox or Windows itself. Nothing to do. Incredibly the same behavior. After a while the save becomes cyclical with a series of glitches. The only way to take the control again is ctr-alt-canc and change windows user. In the opening everything is calm and I can continue the job

Hi Cesare - the developer thinks you may need a Windows update.
Also, if that does not help, what happens if you close all the floating toolbars, does that make any difference at all?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, sorry for the late reply but I would like to be sure of the result. I closed all the toolbars and the glitching completely disappeared. The ui is now stable after hours of work. Of course this make the workflow pretty impossible. Could be the problem related to a specific toolbar? In the past with Rhino 6 and same hardware and multiscreen setup I never had this kind of problem

Hi Pascal,
today I tried to check the solution proposed by your developer. Windows updates for some reason were stuck with an error message. With the Winreset dos program I unlocked them and I made reset of win update and he started installing a series of cumulative framework updates. After rebooting I no longer have any problems with the Rhino 7 UI and no more glitches.
Thank you very much for solving the problem. :ok_hand: