Strange Cplane Behavior - Is this a bug?

Hi all, I use macros to change views within a particular viewport and have noticed some strange cplane behavior that I would like to report. If I start with a Perspective viewport and change the view to Left (by running an alias linked to ! _setview _world _left) and then change the view to Perspective again (by running ! _setview _world _perspective _Cplane _World _Top) the Cplane is now vertical instead of horizontal which I can only presume is not intentional. I am wondering if this is a bug? Sometimes you have to switch between Left view and Perspective

a couple of times before the cplane goes vertical.

Categorized

Hi Cosmas - Setting the view to Perspective does not modify the CPlane - if you want it to, add

Cplane World Top

to the macro.

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi Pascal, I do have Cplane world top as part of my macro.

The macro for setting the viewport to left view is ! _setview _world _left
and then the macro for setting the viewport to perspective is ! _setview _world _perspective _Cplane _World _Top

Let’s say I run 4_view twice so all the viewports are in their default position and I double click on the Perspective viewport to make it primary. Followed by the macro for left view, followed by the macro for perspective, followed by the macro for left view and then followed by the macro for perspective one more time, the cplane is now vertical. The only way I can get the cplane to correct itself is to set Cplane to World Top. Is this as it should be? :smile:

Hi Cosmas - can you hit F2 and get all the relevant command history from the start of the process and copy/paste that here?

-Pascal

Here it is, Pascal:

Command: _Open
Name of the file to open ( UpdatePromptUpdateBlocks=Yes Browse ): “C:\Users\Cosmas Demetriou\Dropbox\LITL (1)\12_Shared_Assets\Matter_Port_Scans\Polish Social Club\Matterport_BanquetHall.3dm”
Loading Legacy Rhino Render, version 1.50, Feb 8 2022, 14:35:44
Successfully read file “C:\Users\Cosmas Demetriou\Dropbox\LITL (1)\12_Shared_Assets\Matter_Port_Scans\Polish Social Club\Matterport_BanquetHall.3dm”
Command: pp
Command: _setview
Choose coordinate system ( CPlane World ): _world
Choose world view ( Top Bottom Left Right Front Back Perspective TwoPointPerspective ): _perspective
Command: _Cplane
CPlane origin <0.000,0.000,0.000> ( All=No Curve Elevation Gumball Object Rotate Surface Through View World 3Point Undo Redo ): _World
Choose world CPlane ( Back Bottom Front Left Right Top ): _Top
Command: W
Command: _wireframeviewport
Command: lv
Choose world view ( Top Bottom Left Right Front Back Perspective TwoPointPerspective ): _left
Command: pp
Choose world view ( Top Bottom Left Right Front Back Perspective TwoPointPerspective ): _perspective
Command: _Cplane
CPlane origin <0.000,0.000,0.000> ( All=No Curve Elevation Gumball Object Rotate Surface Through View World 3Point Undo Redo ): _World
Choose world CPlane ( Back Bottom Front Left Right Top ): _Top
Command: f2
Command: _offset
Select curve to offset ( Distance=0.5 Loose=No Corner=Sharp ThroughPoint Trim=Yes Tolerance=0.001 BothSides InCPlane=No Cap=Flat OutputLayer=Current ): _Cap=Flat
Select curve to offset ( Distance=0.5 Loose=No Corner=Sharp ThroughPoint Trim=Yes Tolerance=0.001 BothSides InCPlane=No Cap=Flat OutputLayer=Current )
Command: f2
Command: _offset
Select curve to offset ( Distance=0.5 Loose=No Corner=Sharp ThroughPoint Trim=Yes Tolerance=0.001 BothSides InCPlane=No Cap=Flat OutputLayer=Current ): _Cap=Flat
Select curve to offset ( Distance=0.5 Loose=No Corner=Sharp ThroughPoint Trim=Yes Tolerance=0.001 BothSides InCPlane=No Cap=Flat OutputLayer=Current )
Command: _Options
Command: CommandHistory

Hi Comas -
Could you please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here?
-wim

Here it is @wim

Rhino 7 SR15 2022-2-8 (Rhino 7, 7.15.22039.13001, Git hash:master @ 2833e18992fc4b5cf99bb29c4d8e8add4f02074d)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-02-08
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19043 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P2000 (NVidia) Memory: 5GB, Driver date: 12-6-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 472.84
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-6-2021
Driver Version: 30.0.14.7284
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 5 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Users\Cosmas Demetriou\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\IntelDenoiser\0.6.4\IntelDenoiser.Windows.rhp “IntelDenoiser.Windows” 0.6.4.0
C:\Users\Cosmas Demetriou\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\NVIDIADenoiser\0.4.3\NVIDIADenoiser.Windows.rhp “NVIDIADenoiser.Windows” 0.4.3.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.15.22039.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

So it looks like the CPlane > Top is there but not being executed… I cannot rgink what might be going wrong - if you open a new file and make a box - and run these command macros, does it work? Incidentallty you might take the ‘!’ out from these macros - the commands are all nestable.

-Pascal

Good morning @Pascal :slightly_smiling_face: following your instructions, when I open a new file and make a box and run these commands the same thing happens. The cplane ends up vertical. See the very short video attached.

Hi Cosmas - I cannot think of why this happens, can you copy and paste the exact text that you have for the aliases from Options?

I cannot make this fail yet…

Also, please look at the OneView command if you have not - see if that makes these changes automatic enough to be useful.
-Pascal