Stochastic Resonance

We usually think of signal and noise as enemies, but an idea known as “stochastic resonance”, which occurs in various physical and natural systems shows that adding some noise can actually enhance the detection of a signal. If there is a threshold below which a signal can’t be detected, some noise can help push it above the threshold, providing useful information. I was reading about it and tried to come up with an extremely simple example, probably too simple, by adding Perlin noise to an image that was adjusted below a preset threshold. Yes, I know it now seems obvious, but as Sherlock Holmes said, “Every problem becomes very childish when once it is explained to you."

stochastic resonance.gh (622.9 KB)

Stochastic resonance - Wikipedia.

7 Likes

I love this, fantastic simple example that visually explain what’s going on. Great job and thanks for sharing. These types of stuff are the easter eggs of this forum :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you for the enthusiastic response! I thought this was going to be another of my “orphan” postings.

I love it when people share when they understand something complex as simple. It’s exactly those moments that propel society to new levels, crossing knowledge and understanding from one field to another and inspiring each other. So please keep posting your discoveries :smiley:

1 Like

Well … there’s some signal cases … blah, blah.

Given the opportunity get what Ken Perlin said (with minor mods I confess).

PerlinNoise_EntryLevel_V1.gh (123.6 KB)