STL-Export ASCII: numbers as exponential values?

Hi…,

my customer needs STL-Export (ASCII) with exponential values. Sometimes Rhino writes exponential formatted values, sometimes plain formatted values. How to controll this?

Thanks

Michael
www.flexiCAD.com

Hi Michael- I don’t think there is any control from Rhino. I imagine for an ascii file it might be easy enough to write a conversion script though - can you send me an example file showing the desired format? maybe I can cook up a short term fix.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

I will try to get a stl-ascii-file with exponential values tomorrow.

Thanks

Michael
www.flexiCAD.com

Hi Pascal,

I haven’t got anything from this customer today.

When I know more, I will send something.

Thanks

Michael
www.flexiCAD.com

Hi Michael- OK- send me an email if you get something to work from.

-Pascal

I don’t think we have ever had this request before, but @tim might be able to tell you more.

Rhino uses exponents in ASCII STL when the number requires it, either very large or very close to zero. If the number can be accurately represented without exponents, then it is. I suppose that could be added as an option, to force the output to use exponential values. It would need to be added to V6 though since it would require an interface change.

Tim

Since I’d never heard this request before, I thought maybe a one off conversion via script would be OK for now.

-Pascal

Hi Bob, Tim, and Pascal,

today I called the customer, and now this seams obsolete for him. Hm? Sorry for your time with this.

Take care

Michael
www.flexiCAD.com