...Still struggling with docking panels

Hi,

Is there a solution to get the docking panels sticking in their places between sessions ?
I asked this so many times since rh5 and I really don’t understand why I still have to struggle with that.

Any development ?

Before exiting rhino (single instance)

After restart

Regards

Yep, I know, I think this is on the pile to get some attention in V8. @JohnM - is that correct?

-Pascal

Yes, the old system of saving/restoring has been completely scrapped and I’m in the process of putting together a completely new system that should be much more reliable.

9 Likes

Thank you.
This is good news.

Hi guys,

Does that mean that until V8 there is no way of saving panel states…?

Hi Sven -

There won’t be a new way of dealing with panel states in Rhino 7.
As for Rhino 8, all this new stuff is still work-in-progress…
-wim

Every week I download new build hoping this issue is solved. It is utterly annoying to reconfigure my panels every time I start new Rhino session.
John, for God’s sake, don’t make it more reliable, make it fully working!

1 Like

Yes, come on guys, I fully agree. There should be a way to save your default panel state, at least.

1 Like

This system is getting completely replaced in version 8 and should be far more robust and reliable.

Have you done somethig recently to improve Panel docking? If so, thanks a lot.
The self-resetting is gone, at least for a couple of days for both V7 and WiP.

Hi Piotr -

Any changes in this department will only apply to Rhino 8 so anything that you see different in Rhino 7 would just be a coincidence…
-wim

One further request on ‘reliable / bullet-proof’ panel states:

How about … UI Config FILES?!

This would be similar to the display mode files. You could save the entire UI / panels & locations / toolbars / preferences / colors / layers / etc and then quickly load everything from one single and beautiful config file.

Think of all the time this would save … and the joy it would bring to sweet Rhino customers everywhere. I’m getting emotional just thinking about it.

Feel free to follow up and tell me why it’s impossible. :wink: