Starting out / Establishing a "fool proof" link to Revit world

Hi,

So I’m starting to play with this new tool (very exciting) and I’m basically setting up a small project I’m working on in Rhino that is pretty much finished design wise and now just needs to be documented (preferably in Revit).

I’ve started with basically orienting my Rhino model/space to the (0,0,0) in Revit and I’ve succesfully translated small contextual things first, levels, topography, etc to Revit before jumping into the geometry side of things…I noticed that Revit pins elements that live in Rhino space so that things can update when changes are made, awesome. My only question is what happens when I exit the program and want to pick things up again? Does the link hold? When I closed and reopened Revit, Rhino (Inside) and then proceeded to reopen the file and grasshopper script things don’t seem to connect as they did in the previous session. How do I make sure that this connection between programs remains solid for the entirety of the design process?

Lastly, how are teams managing this in offices? I’m curious to know if people hold to the last minute to make that jump into Revit using RIR or if this is something that is done from day one having some team members document things in Revit throughout phases of design and others in Rhino coordinating changes as they go?

Thanks

Yes, you really need to consider what you are trying to accomplish and how (where) you want to control things. This goes for projects in Rhino driven by various Revit files, or Revit files driven by various Rhino files and gh scripts.

It’s used similar to how you would use pyrevit (one off tools) or dynamo, where you have shared scripts that will do particular functions, or using GH in a Rhino project.

Either way to truly foolproof connection of things ongoing it needs to be data driven, keeping a relationship that is beyond the Element Tracking [Element IDs, BakeNames], [Parameters, Usertexts]

In the office environment GH files can be hosted in shared folders (BIM 360, …) and grasshopper player leveraged. Granted that will improve even more with Get/Set components for the player.

In general you want to use it in ways that you know will save you time. If its something that you know in every project 100’s of hrs are going to be spent doing the same thing, its worth spending a week coming up with a workflow that can reduce redundant tasks or errors. Eventually you get better at coming up with efficiencies. In these workflows the larger the project the greater potential.

Feel free to post an idea or question on specific process, also let us know if there’s a component or feature we can add to RiR that can facilitate your workflow.

Thank you Japhy for your detailed response.

I just realized that the connection between my models was not effective because I had internalized several elements into the gh script, so what was being referenced was not an object in Rhino space anymore.

It sounds that you are saying that the more data I can put into elements to be transferred, the more robust the element tracking will ultimately be…is this a fair understanding?

At this point, my hope is to understand the tool and its capacity before actually setting it up to be used by teams on projects in my office. At a basic/philosophical level this means to start moving away from the mindset of having a “design” model and a “documentation” model that is just built in Revit from scratch on the heels of the former AKA the predominant architectural office workflow.

You can set user text with the element ID into Rhino objects, so that perhaps you could select a group of things later on that you wouldn’t want to run the entire original script on, or vice versa a Revit Parameter that corresponds with the Rhino geometry that can be referenced in Grasshopper. Which is one way to think of a model being more Data Driven/Connected.

1 Like