Sporadic Eto.Forms.Dialog crashes

Hi @curtisw,

i sometimes get crashes right after opening an Eto.Forms.Dialog which creates a DotNetCrashLog.txt file on my desktop with the following content:

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x88980406): Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x88980406
bei System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.Channel.SyncFlush()
bei System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowSettings(Boolean enableRenderTarget, Nullable`1 channelSet)
bei System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.UpdateWindowPos(IntPtr lParam)
bei System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
bei System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
bei MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
bei MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
bei System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
bei System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
[END ERROR]

The crashes happen out of the blue, eg. i can open the dialog 10 times without a problem, but on the 11th time, it brings Rhino down. The dialog is semimodal and started like this:

rc = Rhino.UI.EtoExtensions.ShowSemiModal(
                                          dialog, 
                                          scriptcontext.doc.ActiveDoc, 
                                          Rhino.UI.RhinoEtoApp.MainWindow
                                          )

I’ve put almost all my dialog functions into try / except blocks to see possible errors but i do not get any. The namespaces used in the log file are not part of my code. Is there anything in the log which you could spot as possible source for the crashes ?

thanks,
clement

Hey @clement,

The only thing I can find on that (which looks extremely relevant), is this post about render thread failures in WPF, which appear to be related to GPU/graphics driver problems, or out of memory issues. Perhaps take a look at the memory consumption, and if that’s not an issue look at the general recommendations about the issue, namely updating video drivers and updating your OS.

Hope this helps shed some light! And let us know what you find out, it could help others in the same situation.

1 Like