Split Tree Masks format?

The masks have to be path index in curly brackets.

When I plug in an integer, it doesn’t work and I have to use Construct Path to do the formatting.

Curly brackets are required, why isn’t that formatting done internally so you can plug in integers or properly formatted paths?

Yes, that’s path notation in Grasshopper.

Sure, or you could get the desired, formatted path(s) with Tstat (Tree Statisitcs) and an Item (List Item) component. The Viewer (Param Viewer) also outputs the paths.
If you get your desired paths “dynamically” like this, there really is no need to do manually construct paths ever. I haven’t done it in years. I’m not even joking!

Curly braces are required because that’s how paths are represented in Grasshopper.
The experienced user knows that {x;y} is paths lingo, and the component is able to parse the data between the curly braces as a path. It really doesn’t get simpler than that in my opinion.
You really wouldn’t want to introduce pseudo-convenient obfuscation here, like inputting an integer that would then be formatted as a path internally. How would this even work for grafted trees? You’d have to input a list of integers for each path?
And how would the component distinguish between paths and other, wrongly inputted data?

In my opinion, this would only make it harder for beginners to get a grasp on data trees.
You would input a single or series of integers, but there wouldn’t be a relation to how the paths are represented anywhere else.

Do you understand that the path of a tree branch is already kind of like a multidimensional collection of list indices?

Thanks for the explanation.

I understand all the above but was mainly referring to simple inputs with a slider for example…

Of course it would get a bit difficult with grafted trees.