"spiralize" offset curves for fabrication

Here is something specific to your first example and doesn’t quite give full coverage, and has limited applicability, but aside from that, it’s perfect!

spiral path.gh (17.7 KB)

4 Likes

thanks, some nice concepts inside! have to think about some more…
(script in action)

Hi @Konrad, i recently had to implement this and used clipper and this paper as reference.

_
c.

3 Likes

Fusion360 will generate tool paths like that (single continuous curve)… for example, pocketing with ‘Morphed Spiral’ option on a part shaped liked yours yields this: (the model is from Rhino)

35%20PM

…not sure if this would be an option for you but if it is, it’s quick to do.

3 Likes

BTW see the inner aspect of things (if you are after code matters):

clipper_ver6.4.2.zip (2.4 MB)

1 Like

Yes! This is the thing I am looking for. Thanks for the link.

some fun stuff…

_
c.

41 Likes

It is also possible to make a single path using this technique

I cried at the end.

4 Likes

Would it be possible to share the fermat spiral code?:slight_smile:

Hi @Petras_Vestartas, sorry, it is proprietary. What would you use the path for ?

_
c.

Educational CNC milling:)

1 Like

https://pastebin.com/cfeDCxhZ?fbclid=IwAR0EjAmNNvjr4iS7HkW305ruZm5-DLfrzBm_Z76VzFbLaIdzxk2ywxHZ76o

My turn to play
@clement what tool do you use to have so low size (kb) GIF ?
spiralize_
spiralize2_

10 Likes

@laurent_delrieu i did with online tool it reduced your 3.93mb file to 970.79 kb
com-optimize but if you’re curious to do within the grasshopper this is not the one you’re looking for.

1 Like

I use Daniel Piker one which seem to use a free library

an old version of camtasia studio 3. I have not found built in .NET component which i could access in ironpython to build the gif myself.

_
c.

1 Like

https://ezgif.com/optimize/ezgif-1-5a284da62e48.gif @laurent_delrieu it is very simple you can use this. In optimization method just select reduce every 4th frame

2 Likes

Is possible to share the definition

No problem it is very similar to what I proposed in the other discussion.
First put the curves
Choose the number of spheres (1000 seems OK, 4000 points on my PC gives 5 min of calculations)
Toggle Kangaroo to TRUE, adapt the diameter if needed. If OK toggle to FALSE.

Choose an attractor point
Now you can open the DAM
Adapt the Graph Mapper in order to tweak the shape of the curve. As there is no dam double click on Graph Mapper to modify it.

You will need Kangaroo, Clipper, ShortestWalk. Human is not mandatory just to draw the lines so it is cool for the animation.

spiralize path Laurent Delrieu.gh (47.4 KB)

14 Likes