How sphere to pattern and then to strips what is logic behind this and how it’s possible in grasshopper. And to developable this double curve surface is to modified to single curve is it right?
I am afraid you won’t get much help with this type of questions. This is of a too general request.
You will be better off asking specific questions about the software and how to solve “x” problem in particular.
Not asking for “help” to re-do an entire project from scratch.
Just asking some good tip to start not asking to do entire work I’m totally out of idea how to start this type of work and seeking help from experts available here so that i can start right with their basic advice @ShynnSup @laurent_delrieu
@Adam_M @mohamad.elatab @Fred_C
the base shape of this is a dodecahedron , start drawing the center star inside one pentagon and then orient it to the rest of the faces
You can use RhinoPolyedra too.
Here is a well behaved starfish pattern that could probably be adapted and/or arrayed?
starfish_2019Nov25a.gh (14.6 KB)
Added a gimmick “end gap” at the tips of the star:
starfish_2019Nov25c.gh (18.1 KB)
This one looks better at first glance, but it has a subtle flaw. It’s asymmetrical with regard to clockwise vs. counter-clockwise rotation, caused by pairing an Arc SED with a BiArc. But it gives me an idea for a better one…
starfish_2019Nov25d.gh (18.5 KB)
THIS IS IT!
starfish_2019Nov25e.gh (24.0 KB)
Perseverance furthers. (I Ching)
So… I explored various methods of making some kind of “starfish holding hands” array in 2D (not on a sphere) and this is the only method I can think of that works rather well? (purple group)
starfish_2019Nov26a.gh (20.4 KB)
But only to a point. With 3, 4, 5 or 6 sides on the polygon, it works. Beyond that, it’s whacked.
I just couldn’t resist.
Not quite finished yet. Will post GH when done.
Here is final (for now) version:
I put Joseph’s script in a cluster just to make things neater, and I added a parameter to control the thickness of the star’s arms. The SDiff that makes the slats on the bottom takes a while to process (7.3 sec. for me), but it speeds up 3D printing and makes the part easier to remove from the print bed. Without the center hole the part looked to me to be center heavy, so there’s another much faster SDiff for that.
There are lots of places where fillets could be added. I don’t plan on doing that.
SeaStarBox.gh (37.3 KB)