Speckle vs Rhino.inside

Hello, I am a master’s student in digital architecture, and I want to create an efficient workflow for practices that integrates rhino and revit for parametric BIM .

I began investigating and learning rhino.inside and its capabilities, however I just discovered a grashopper plugin called Speckle.
Does anybody know which of these two is more powerful, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each? Which is the best for practice? and if they can be combined to produce a more efficient parametric BIM workflow?

I have a fair bit of experience using both and have developed a couple of workflows using them.

First, I would not really put them under the same umbrella as Speckle is meant to be more this platform to translate data across between different environments (within their available “connectors”) with the great added values of version control (similar structure as Github/Sourcetree with commits, branches, etc) and collaboration while Rhino.Inside just lets you “speak” directly to Revit with Rhino/GH.

In short, Speckle has a more “general” use while RiR is specific to working between Rhino and Revit seamlessly.

To answer your questions:

As I previously said, I would not really pit them against each other and I believe both of them to be extremely good depending on the project/work being done, that being said, I do tend to use more Speckle on a daily basis as it serves a more general purpose by nature. (BIM is not only Revit)

Do you mean for the professional practice or to practice with?

For the professional practice in the field of Architecture, Urban and Landscape design, I think they both serve their purpose quite well.

To practice with, both have decent documentation on how to start, Speckle has guides on how to translate data to each connector using either the Rhino or GH plugins (as well as with their other connectors) and RiR as well on how to send information/geometry across from Rhino/GH to Revit (and viceversa). I’ve linked their docs below if you’re interested:

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, making a “more efficient parametric BIM workflow” will highly depend on the tools at your disposal and the type of work on which that workflow/framework will be applied to.

There’s more to BIM than Revit and there’s more to Information Modelling than Buildings. If its a research piece for education or work purposes that you’re after, I would suggest on specifying those points first (environments/tools/methodologies used) rather than applying a “one glove fits all” approach to those possible workflows you’ll be developing.

Apologies in advance for the wall of text and hope it is useful.
(Also, I think it’d be good to add the RiR tag to this thread if possible)

2 Likes

Hello, Alessandro.

Thank you so much for your response. Since I’m new to RiR and don’t know much about Speckle, your response was quite useful in providing me some background.

My thesis will be on parametric BIM, and one aspect of it will be to create a workflow that employs rhino+grashopper as a conceptual/analysis tool for the early design phases and Revit as a BIM tool for documentation, detailing, adding specifications, coordination, and so on.

Specifically the project will be:

1. Begin by getting a Revit-BIM model of an existing structure from an architect and removing the components that I will redesign.
  2. Import the revit model into Rhino and use Grasshopper to design and optimize the building’s facade panels.
    3)After that, put the new design back into Revit with each panel being a native Revit element so I can assign additional specs to them, create documentation, and so on.

So my question is, which of the two plugins is better suited to each step? Is it going to be beneficial to combine them?
Also, I have about 5 months for research and learn the plugin(s) do you think that is enough?

For your requirements I think RiR should be more than enough and should be easier to pick up.

But this is also possible through speckle tbh. But prepare yourself for learning it.

1 Like

Ah, understand. As @keshavanarayan82 said above, a RiR approach would more than suffice for what you need then.

If you’re keen to have a concept of “full interoperability” involved into your thesis, you could maybe add Speckle as a final step to translate that same design information/geometry outside of Revit/Rhino. But I would totally leave this as an extra step.

And good luck with your thesis!

1 Like

Thank you @Alebrew !! Your answers have been very helpful!

1 Like

Thank you @keshavanarayan82, wish you all the best!!