Sort Groups By Model and Paper Space

I am working on cleaning up some groups in a file that has groups in both model space and paper space. For the items in model space think closed polysurfaces and in paper space it a lot of pre-drawn items like text tags, north arrows, scales, etc. When I do a selgroup I get all the groups for both spaces, but if I could set up a sort to where the group lives would be very helpful.

I have considered pasting the model into a blank Rhino file with no paper space so I can see just the model space groups and do the work I need to do and then paste it back. While I know that will solve my problem I am curious if there is a more elegant solution.

Hi Paul - so do your groups have members that are in both spaces, is that the problem, or that you cannot tell inside SelGroup which are in which? What does ‘cleaning up’ entail?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

The second I cannot tell inside SelGroup which are in model space and which are in paper space, without jumping back and forth between the model space and multiple paper space tabs. For clean up I need everything ungrouped in model space so that I can redo the groups because updates have been made to the design and I need to redo the groups.

Hi Paul -

How are you selecting these groups?
In a quick test here, on Rhino 8, I run -SelGroup (i.e. the dash version of the command) and enter * to select all. When I do that, only the groups in the space that I am in are selected; those that are in the other space are not.

You can see that in this image where I ran the command in paper space and can see all objects in model space in the detail:

There are 3 groups in model space and 3 in paper space and only those in paper space have been select.

What are you doing differently?
-wim

Morning Wim,

I was selecting the groups through the window that opens when I launch SelGroup through the command line. However I wasn’t using the “-” in front of the SelGroup and then the “*”.

I followed your steps and it worked perfect. But I feel like I just got shown something very powerful, but I don’t fully understand it. What does the “-” and the “*” do exactly? Is there a guide I should be following because this seems very beneficial.

Hi Paul ‘-’ (dash) in front of a command runs any command that normally has a dialog box as a command line only (! _-Sweep2) , the ‘*’ is, in this context the wildcard in a search for text - i.e. all.

-Pascal

Thanks for that information.

When I used that SelGroup in its command line only form it did limit it to selecting just the groups in model space or which ever paper space tab I was actively in. Unlike when I launch the command with the dialogue box which will allow me to select any group in the file instead of just the active space.

This allowed me to do what I wanted which is great. Is it common practice for the command line version to limit to just the active view or perhaps that happens when using the “*”? What I am getting at is why are the results different if the only thing has changed is how the command is launched.

Thank you you both on the help on this. This help saved a lot of time on this project. I hope the above isn’t too much in the weeds. It seems very helpful to be able to select the entire file and then each individual space as well.

Right off hand, this looks like a mistake - the dialog should probably differentiate so that you only get the right groups showing. The slightly weird thing is that it is possible, if not easy, to make a group with members in both spaces - I guess these groups, which should be rare, would show in both cases. I’ll see if we can tune that up, thanks for pointing it out.
RH-70519 SelGroup: list groups by space
-Pascal