Some Thoughts On Surface Modeling, vis a vis the 3rd Party Plugin Model

I hate to say I told you so, but:

Where VSR and TSplines were concerned and likely RhinoWorks too, I’d modulate my remarks back then because from what I was subsequently told none of them sold in anything like sufficient numbers to make the business models viable. We are talking a few hundred of each being sold in their (Rhino) lifetime. For all of the work their creators likely put in, you can hardly blame them for selling out if those volumes are true, however vocal their devotees (myself included) are on here.

As I understand it, some very clever software developers with a lot of experience of surface modelling techniques were behind the writing of VSR. That kind of expertise doesn’t grow on trees and expecting McNeel to ‘just’ cook up an equivalent or better replacement for Rhino 7 is pretty unrealistic.

So I’m ‘stuck’ on V5. I bought an upgrade to V6 when it was released, but I’ve yet to use it for work. It is the one and only time in my 30+ year working life that I have bought software out of a sense of moral obligation to the developer. McNeel are a fantastic company doing wondrous things with limited resources, and I owe an awful lot to them.

4 Likes