(Solved) Hugely disappointed due to losing all my settings for Rhino 7

A few hours ago I downloaded the 30-day free demo of Bongo 2, but for some reason it didn’t worked. Prior that I also tried the Bongo 3 WIP release, but it required a valid license for Bongo 2 (which I don’t own). In both cases my Rhino 7 crashed. It was impossible to even run Rhino 7 due to the prompt to enter a license for Bong 2 or Bongo 3 WIP. Upon clicking on the X to close that pop-up window Rhino 7 crashed every time.
After uninstalling both, Bongo 2 and Bongo 3 WIP, my Rhino 7 lost every single setting I made to the program during the years and basically was reset to the default look. This is unacceptable. Uninstalling Bongo must NOT delete the custom settings of Rhino.
Importing my back-up settings for the toolbars does not work for some reason. This is the first time I face such an issue. Now I have to manually repeat so many settings, but the worst part is that I will probably forget where I placed some custom icons and macros…
Does anyone had a similar experience?

EDIT: I just ran a Windows 10 System restore to an earlier restore point from yesterday. Luckily, I was able to recover the old state of my Rhino, including my settings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could you please post your System info? Help > System information.
I tried making this happen, but I’m not able to get it reproduced here. Rhino continues on working after I click the x to close the license window.

I forgot to mention that when my Rhino 7 crashed while trying to run Bongo 3 WIP, I sent a crash report to “McNeel”. Here is my system information:

Rhino 7 SR35 2023-12-12 (Rhino 7, 7.35.23346.11001, Git hash:master @ 6916542aa86609e2c43094fedcff51a3bd3c5723)
License type: Commercial, build 2023-12-12
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19045 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 9-1-2023 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 537.34
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 9-1-2023
Driver Version: 31.0.15.3734
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
D:\PROGRAMI\Rhinoceros 6\Добавки\Curve on surface\rhino6curveonsurface.rhp “CurveOnSurface”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\SolidTools.rhp “SolidTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.35.23346.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.35.23346.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.35.23346.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.35.23346.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.35.23346.11001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\MPlane.rhp “MPlane”

Thank you for the information and the crash dump. Unfortunately we still haven’t been able to figure out the cause of this, the crash dump didn’t give us any useful information.

The lose of the custom UI was most likely caused by the crash, and not by uninstalling Bongo. Bongo will only load into Rhino after you’ve entered a license, if the license isn’t entered Bongo won’t load.
Why it crashed we still need to figure out and why the crashing caused the custom UI to get lost.

I also have no idea what exactly caused the issue, but I uninstalled Bongo anyway and don’t plan to try it again anytime soon due to concerns regarding losing my custom settings. :slight_smile:

FWIW, Rhino 7 was rather prone to customizations being lost and a major reason for the rewrite in Rhino 8. There is no reason to blame Bongo for this.
-wim

The problem that I faced is that Bongo caused a nearly instantaneous freeze of the starting panel while asking me to enter a license key for the evaluation period. That made it impossible to run Rhino 7, so I was forced to uninstall Bongo. Only then Rhino 7 was able to load again, but in a stock version and missing any of my customization. I don’t blame Bongo for anything, I just explain what’s my experience with its license manager. :slight_smile:

1 Like