Solution for using flowalong surface without changing the base form

hi
i have truss(kind of space fram)that i want to add it on my surface
and i put it with flowalong surface bud
my beam are straight budwhen i flow it on surface they were curve as u can see in the picture that i attached
someone know how to do it without deformin

g(

Hello,

Is it possible to post an example? Or a part of the file?

Cheers.

its to heavy
the origin file is 500mb
i cut a little of it
and i change it to mesh
for reducing m.3dm (5.5 MB) the size

the truss before flowingmodul.3dm (9.1 MB)

flowalongsrf will only do this two ways: as you’ve done it already, with all objects conforming to the target surface while deforming, or in ‘rigid’ mode, where objects will keep their original non-deformed shape (straights will stay straight) but the connections between objects will break apart.

You’ll need to find a completely different way of modeling this if you want it to be more accurate. Dig into Grasshopper for starters. Sorry this is a little vague, but this is some very complicated transformation you are looking for.

Like this? or am i doing something wrong?

Get the same problem. Don’t know the solution :frowning:

1 Like

i saw a lot of grasshopper tutorilas and search at the forum bud i didnt get any answer
none of them was help me with this i dont know how solve this problem
i try kangaroo tutorials but
anyone know how can i do that in grasshopper?

and i tried osffset along surface
and as u said the connection between objects will break apart

i said that !!
its a problem without solution

also check out Paneling tools http://www.food4rhino.com/project/panelingtools

Behnam,
A possible quick solution w/o having to learn new tools: do the flowalongsrf using just your central piping curves, (remember to split all of your curves at intersections, so you just have single lines making up each segment see attached)) with rigid=no.
Result will be curvy. Now rebuild those curves, reducing point down to 2 and change to deg1. Now everything straight. Pipe those curves and voila! something cool!
attached example. actually this works well.
flowalongsrf-curves to pipe.3dm (7.2 MB)

thx for reply dude!!
i worked on the way u said
using this way is better and the truss is less curvy but still is curvy!!
i need better way for solving this problem

Define ‘curvy’ or show another example. The end result lines after the rebuild to deg1 makes everything straight line segments.

1 Like

yes,i know it straight but the straight pipe formed like curve as u can see in the picture,
the left one is sample that it shoud be but its not

t

So you want the long members to stay straight and unjointed while letting the smaller triangles conform accordingly? Obviously this means they won’t fully conform to the curvy surface. I don’t yet know how to accomplish this and still keep the modules connected.
Like I said earlier today, some complicated stuff. Maybe someone on here has a fancy script that will array the truss along the surface keeping those long members straight.

1 Like

i think you’re going to have to redesign the truss… i’m pretty sure i understand what you’re trying to accomplish but the modules aren’t going to conform to anything other than a flat surface (or near flat surface)

just so we’re clear, i think you’d like to be able to raise the right side of the green truss by pivoting at the point where it meets the orange truss… right?

but it won’t be able to because of the way/angle it’s tied into the adjacent purple trusses…

point being, no matter what method you use to populate the surface with these modules, the connections are going to break apart in some form or another.

1 Like

i think
my only solution is just grasshopper
i saw a lot of tutorials but i didnt find my answer
i try the kangaroo plug-in for grasshopper (people said for origami folding)
i need sth like that!!
my base concept is origami
and after working on structure this truss is my final pattern

i

i think if i want to create that truss i want
i should create 1 by 1 and change all size of truss
mybe it will be work but it too hard and takes a lot of time

1 Like

that’s starting to look right… are each of the individual modules flat?

it seems like the least confusing way to do it would be to only concentrate on those simple flat shapes at first then once you can get those sitting properly on the surface, figure out the type of joint which will accommodate the required range of movement… then maybe 3ptOrient the trusses to the simpler shapes…

i haven’t thought about it much but if you can figure out the right grid spacing etc, you should be able to do this with Paneling Tools
(or maybe grasshopper is better? i wouldn’t know- i’m on a mac so i don’t have access to grasshopper)

[edit]-- one other thing… I’m not convinced you’ll be able to repeat a single version of the module over any random surface. the shape of the module is going to dictate the amount of fluctuation which can occur between each section. you might want to try manually rotating/placing 3 or 4 of them just to see what you’re working with. the joints will probably have to have an adjustable distance in them as well.
this is a fun looking challenge but I’m going to have to bow out now before I get sucked in too deep :slight_smile:
I have some other stuff I need to be working on by monday.

good luck