SolidWorks 2021

Hi, any idea when Rhino 7 might be able to read SolidWorks 2021 files?

Thanks,

Eric

1 Like

The short answer is, “no idea”.

When the file reading libraries we use are released, and they can be folded into V7 development and tested, we’ll have a better idea.
I don’t think we’ve heard anything from the library developers yet.

Use STEP or IGES in the mean time.

1 Like

Eric - As you know we rely on Datakit for that. They haven’t said anything about SW 2021 yet. They release a lib every 3 months and have been pretty consistent with that for a while.
So, as JB said, we don’t know - Probably 3 - 6 months.

2 Likes

“For now”…the data is the same if it’s a native SW file vs a (.STEP) so if you need to at least keep the project moving for now this is a quick workaround.

Kind of. Assemblies import as nested blocks using .STEP, instead of as layers if the native file is imported, which we find more agreeable. Surface topology and joining are sometimes not as tidy.

Eric

2 Likes

Huh.

If you have a Solidworks Assembly which can be comprised of Part files and in some cases Sub Assemblies that hierarchy is basically translated to Rhino’s layers. Using the (.STEP) file format will net the same geometry but it’s flattened into one layer. So there’s just a bit more organization that needs to be done.

There is a solution, I use it with some steps we get from other companies.

The problem is that sometimes it takes a loooong time to explode, (we work with some assemblies with 4k + parts, I have no idea if it is a lot or not, since the only other company I worked we had 300ish parts assemblies.