Solid Modeling and Assemblies

unhandled

(Solid Modeler) #1

So I’m from the Pro/E (Creo) and NX worlds where parametric solid modeling rules the day. I’m working to get Grasshopper to do similar things where it makes sense. Can anyone comment on feasibility of using grasshopper to do solid modeling and assemblies?

(Rickson) #2

A project of scale, done in an assembly type fashion; granted not exactly your field, but its the best example i can think of.

(Solid Modeler) #3

@Rickson, thanks for the example, but that is several degrees of difficulty beyond what I was looking for. I need basic examples like assembling simple bodies in grasshopper.

(Pfotiad0) #4

Rhino is not a solid modeler nor has any idea on assemply/component concepts (not to mention feature driven modelling and ultimately PLM ).

Stick to Siemens NX (or try CATIA [my favorite]) otherwise you’ll waste your time. NX is better on // GPU’s mind (CrossFire/SLA etc).

BTW: Creo (an ex H/P internal product written in Germany [ME10/30 then OneSpace]) is a poor relative compared to NX/CATIA.

BTW: Even Microstation (my favorite AEC BIM thingy) is 1000 times better than Rhino for solid MCAD stuff:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/3702778/The-art-of-pointless

(Solid Modeler) #5

@PeterFotiadis,
I have over 10 years of heavy PTC creo/Proe user knowledge. As far as I’m concerned, solidworks is just a clone of creo, as I’ve used SW also. Rhino is a really nice complimentary CAD tool, but I like it a lot and was wondering if anyone is using Grasshopper for solid modeling. I see what the architects are doing, but I need a more streamlined solution for simple assemblies. Thank you.

As a fellow mechanical CAD user, I wouldn’t bother with Rhino/Grasshopper for simple mechanical assemblies of simple geometry. It’ll take you forever to setup Grasshopper to do the equivalent of simple 2D sketch constraining. Maintaining files and drafting is also a chore in Rhino compared to mechanical CAD.

Where I find Grasshopper useful is when dealing with multiple simple parts that get variations to fit a complex overall shape - IE architecture/construction type work. It’s also great when creating extremely complex or generative geometry on single parts or small assemblies.

The ability to use geometry as an input and to have code directly generate geometry is what set it apart.

Can you share what type of projects you’re looking at?

(Solid Modeler) #7

@Louis_Leblanc,
I have a CNC router and 3D printer, and the ability to model and print/carve organic shapes is too enticing to pass up. This is where Grasshopper comes in. I already use Rhino for complex geometry, but now I can capture all that history in Grasshopper. I can do a hybrid of Rhino/Grasshopper, but I’d like for 100% of the geometry to exist in Grasshopper, with the Rhino window relegated to previewing and baking only.

(Solid Modeler) #8

Here’s an example of the sort of GH modeling I’m looking into: