So now I would like to print my drawing

So now I would like to print my drawing. Using the default print dialog is not an option, it is just too screwed up. Opening as a PDF is a no go as well, terrible quality and most of the same problems with the print dialog.

I tried exporting as a DWG but all the free DWG viewers for Mac are terrible and the export process did not work well anyway. Lots of errors, terrible quality.

Exporting as AI (Adobe Illustrator) is not an option because Im not about to buy Illustrator.

So is there anyway I can get my drawing out of Rhino using a Mac?

(John Brock) #2

Nope, not yet.
You need Rhino for Windows to have those printing tools.
The needed tools are still in development.

Okay, Thanks you guys for all the great work so far.

@jetak
the best way to get a quick jpg/png/tif is with the command ViewCaptureToFile… in order to get the largest file, go in to full screen mode, close the left and right sidebars, right click on the top bar and choose to hide it then run the viewCapture command… depending on your display size, you should be able to get a decent print from this file…

there are lots of export options which can then be imported to other software… for photoreal, i personally use .3ds into sketchup which i then render in indigo

you can also render from within rhino itself… with the built in render, i found a pretty fast way to make this pseudo clay look with minimalistic materials and ambient occlusion… i mean, it’s not even a workaround or whatever… i actually like it and have presented to clients:

Well I got DraftSight to export Rhino3D’s DWG file as a PDF. It worked fairly well though they need to work on the interface for Mac a bit. Quite a bit actually.

Jeff,

Really nice looking rendering, any chance you could give a little more detail on your “pretty fast way”?

Best,

Dave

hey dave… try this:

set up with some sort of psyche wall for a ground plane / backdrop…

via the menus… Render -> Current Render …set it to Toucan
then Render -> Render Properties and you’ll get a Toucan window with different tabs… a few quick changes can be made in this window:

in the Basic tab, 'Use custom resolution' to control the output size (larger size = longer render time).. Change Antialiasing for cleaner look (higher setting = longer render time)

In the Gathering tab, switch to Full Gather for cleaner look (increases render times).. do your preview renders with the quick gather setting for faster looks.

In the Occlusion tab, check the box 'enable ambient occlusion'.. the Light Intensity gives you brightness control.

materials can be added/assigned via the object properties/materials panel…
here’s the render of the scene with some basic colors applied using the settings posted above… it took 4 minutes to complete. (2.66GHz quad)

Thanks again @jeff_hammond

Jeff,

Thanks much that was hugely helpful. Although now I’ve got another question, can you pull a little further back on your scene to show the lights? All the rendering I’ve done in Flamingo was done with a light dome and I’ve got a feeling what you’re using here is quite a bit simpler. Again many many thanks, I’ve been trying to get my arms around this portion of Rhino on the Mac and this was a huge boost. On last question, is there a reference you can steer me to on the web for creation of wooden materials? Flamingo had the ability to use decals to do some phenomenal stuff and I’m assuming that Toucan has something similar buried in there but I have no clue where.

Thanks again,

Dave

On the windows side -viewCaptureToFile (with the -) will give you a size option where you can capture images larger than your viewport. Might be worth checking if that exists on the Mac side.

Sam

[quote=“the_wisco_kid, post:9, topic:5388, full:true”]
Jeff,

Thanks much that was hugely helpful. Although now I’ve got another question, can you pull a little further back on your scene to show the lights? [/quote]
there are no lights :wink:

it’s ambient occlusion… the post i made up there was start to finish.

i could but i don’t think it would be very helpful unless you use that specific software… my photoreal knowledge is in indigo renderer via Skindigo and unless you use that specific renderer, the texturing tutorials probably wouldn’t be very helpful… i’m hesitant to really learn rendering in mac rhino (and i’ve never used windows rhino) as i’m under the impression toucan just happens to be in it as a leftover from v4 and it will eventually be phased out.

aww… that was semi exciting for about 30 seconds :smile:

Yep,
Another vote for toucan render, I have happy clients with the quality of images from Mac Rhino. The DraftSight work around seems to be hit and miss as the beta changes, I currently can’t print like I used too with DXF’s.

Examples such as this are making me hang on for a full version of Mac Rhino, than upgrade my PC version.

(Marlin Prowell) #14

Yeah, I had to disable that exactly because people were attempting 3000 x 4000 pixel images. Above a certain size, Rhino switches to a tiled view capture, where a large virtual viewport is divided into squares, rendered a section at a time, then the final output image is composited from the individual pieces.

This tiling process is not implemented on the Mac yet (in fact, it would just crash), and is also an important part of getting printing working. I’ll get to printing in Rhino as soon as everyone stops finding bugs in the single window modeling code. :wink:

Those look pretty nice. Looks like a fancy version of a GeoStove.