Snapshots plugin prototype in the latest WIP

Can we get right click behavior on this, similar to Osnap toolbar, or setPt where a right click clears all others and sets the one you right clicked on (and sets everything else and clears the right click-ie if done again)? Also handy would be a check for each category, which might work similar to layers when you turn on and off a parent layer, the child layers are turned off but remember their individual layer visibility state.

Thanks,
Sam

2 Likes

Therefore there should be undo and redo functions for snapshot “history” – ignoring object edits, of course.

Rhino could make a “render queue proposal” with check buttons to simply activate the wanted combinations.
This should be saved and the feature could reinstate the last selection on the next render session(s).

The user could give layer states and views and positions text labels / recognizable names which would be combined to a regular understandable “sentence”:

1. LAYER STATE 1st selection POSITION race start NAMED VIEW front-like low view

/// also optimal would be a preview to visually distinguish the various options faster.

Thanks for all the feedback.

New features in the latest Rhino WIP:

• Sun animation.
  • View display mode property.

Bug fixes:

• Black thumbnails fixed.
  • Intermediate checkbox state fixed when toggling “select all”.
  • Object animation improved.

nice job with adding the sun! we find this one particularly useful, even as a set of sand-alone sun positions that you can animate between.

Lars - do you plan to expose the Snapshots functionality to scripting in future once the concept solidifies?

–jarek

Jarek

RhinoCommon yes - scripting…I don’t know. it’s certainly already possible to use the hyphen version of the command, right?

• Andy

Undo and Redo should both work exactly as you would expect.

In general we are trying to make new features available in RhinoCommon since that makes the functionality immediately available to plug-ins, python, and grasshopper.

I thought of having an undo command especially for snapshots and its functions.

object undo would be a separate command.

2 posts were split to a new topic: New features in Snapshots in Rhino WIP 2017-May-16

This could very well be the type of thing I was really hoping for. Question:

With Snapshots is it posisble (with the diff options) to have Cam A View see a Cube at 0,0,0 and then duplicate that cam position calling it Cam B, and now see a Sphere at 0,0,0?

Point Being: Vray 3.0 for Rhino Windows has the ability to select Named Views and do a Batch Render. So if I have iterations of a design (say, a Cube in a space, and Sphere in a space) I can choose Cam A and Cam B, and then same angles will be rendered, but the renders will show Iteration A and Iteration B.

Hope I’ve explained that well. This new option seems like it could be a lot like Cinema 4D’s “Take System” which changed my life. Hoping this Snapshots system will do the same!

Thanks

Yes.
You just turn off the layer with the sphere for the snapshot called “Cam A”. For “Cam B” you turn off the layer with the cube. Or you can hide the objects. Or move them out of sight.

As far as Vray is concerned, that will need to get the ability to batch render snapshots.

Nice, I dared to dream this was in the works. Hope it performs really well - it could be a real game changer depending on people’s workflows. Will be checking it out on the WIP.

Thanks

Alan

Is it possible to view the “snapshot” overrides and “clear objects” or edit the data like we edit animation tags in a timeline?

hi @lars,

I have to document a project with a large file and lots of layers. I wanted to see if Snapshopts would do the job.

After saving snapshot 1 and snapshot 2 I decided to update snapshopt one with a material/color change of one part. The whole thing is leaving Rhino not responding. Have you seen this before?

No, I have not heard of this before. It would be great if I could get the model and instructions how to reproduce it. Thanks.

ok, I think the issue could have been also triggered because I had a lot of saved layerstates in that file and those layers are not longer tehre. I’ll explore a bit more after tomorrow deadline and report back, give you files etc.

Hi all,

Enjoying a lot this feature in the last project to explain assembly systems. Great work @lars and team.

I don’t know if anyone asked about this, but could be awesome to have access to the snapshot modes transitions as Rhino animations so images can be exported in sequence to create a video or a gif.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Hello. Where are snapshots saved? Where can I set the file path?

They are not saved externally from the .3dm file, SnapShots are part of the file. Create snapshots, save your file, open on another computer and voilá, you have the snaphots with it.

/Nathan