Snapshot Animation With Clipping Plane

Hello, trying to use a Clipping Plane in a Snapshot animation, moving the position of the clipping plane so to slowly reveal the model. It doesn’t seem to work as I thought, is this not a function that works with clipping planes and snapshot animations ?

Hi Miles -

That seems to work as expected here on the latest WIP - also on macOS.
-wim

Hi Wim, ok let me double check, in my animation the clipping plane is moving, but not revealing the model slowly, it just snaps into a full view at the end, as if I’ve turned all layers on and bang ! Using my windows machine this morning and the same behavior🤷🏼‍♂️

1 Like

I’m also experiencing this behaviour. The clipping plane moves, but the object cut is not to be seen.

Hello, hello, have you found a solution? I tried rhino7 and 8 and this problem occurs.

Can someone please share a model that already has the clipping planes and Snapshots all set up? I’m trying to reproduce this - and I believe I can - but I’m not sure and I’d like to try with a model we know is not working.

Looks like I found this is a known-bug:

RH-45690 Animate ClippingPlane transform with SnapShots

but it does sound like it works with Raytraced views. I’ll give that a try.

Yep, it does work in Raytraced (which isn’t that useful for this use-case really).

Here’s the file I used to test:
SnapshotClippingPlaneTest.3dm (43.1 KB)

1 Like

@dan yeh it kind of works with your file, but still needs improvement, in the animation mode the clipping plane just pushes the end face in and at the end the other faces ‘snap’ into alignment

Yep, the good news is that it’s a known bug, and easy to reproduce. I can imagine why this would be really helpful to have for presentations. Hopefully, we can get to it soon :tm:

1 Like

I was in the middle of reporting the same issue due to a customer complaint.

Yes, soon would be really good.

1 Like