Snap precision issue

Having been plagued for years with the same issue, I’m anxious to read the end of it. As a reach around I usually resort to a line drawing and split with it, then trim all surfaces to edges and cap. Not the quickest but it allows me to carry on with the task.

I did another set of screen shots regarding the boolean awkwardness.

In this model I’m needing to reduce the floor size of an octagonal space. What I want to happen is to drag a wall along it’s ortho axis and trim or boolean difference the associated wall.

Starting with the plan curves both walls are extruded.

Next in the top view with the boolean operation and resulting object

Next, the need to trim away the unwanted remaining on the left by duplicating an edge of the cutting object. ANd the next result.

Shared with CloudApp

This is what makes me wonder if my profiles created using the snaps function are accurate.

I understand as per David the result is out of my control as the algorithm isn’t written to do this particular sort of task, It would be grand if it did I think.

The other issue is with the creation of cabinetry with the plan curves resulting further down the process with minor overlapping of objects that should be adjacent - which being in a 45 degree relationship makes for a lot of recreation to make the necessary adjustments.

ForJhon.3dm (8.0 MB)

If you are trying with BooleanDifference, that is not something I would recommend - it will make a Non-Manifold object due to the coincident edge.

Either use Split, remove the unwanted pieces and Cap, or try something like Wirecut.

Thanks for the help! I’m not that savvy so far but couldn’t a macro be created to do that process of splitting and capping the result?

The main problem is to decide what you want to keep and what you want to delete. That is not something that you can really do with a macro. A script might be made to work for certain configurations, but probably not for all.

There are other possibilities - you can do your BooleanDifference, then Explode the non-manifold result and Join back together. It will end up as two closed manifold polysurfaces, you can delete the one you don’t want to keep.

Or, you can call Trim while in the Top view, Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+Click to subobject select an edge of the cutter object instead of the whole object, then trim off the part you don’t want and Cap to ‘solidify’.

That’s great it’ll save me step making a duplicate edge.

Thanks