Smooth transition from column to surface

I want to create a smooth transition from the column to the surface. Some of the structure goes above the surface and some of it is a little below. I’ve attached the script. I feel like there should be a pretty easy solution to this, however I can’t figure out how to do it.

Tree_structure.3dm (135.3 KB) Tree_structure.gh (14.1 KB)

Like this?

SHADE.gh (19.3 KB)

Yes! Thank you!! As I understand, you did the following:

• Extend the top branches so it goes through the surface and give it a ‘pipe’ structure
  • Turn the pipe structure and the panels into breps
  • Cut the pipe into two parts
  • Find the centroid of each substructure and pick out the z coordinate for them
  • Make a numeric domain with the two z coordinates being the bounds
  • Deconstruct the domain and choose only the end of the domain to get the value of the centroid of the upper part which needs to be removed
  • Test whether the z value of the top substructure is larger than the z value of both centroids. Obviously, the z value of the top structure is not larger than the number itself
  • Remove all the ‘false’ which are equal to all the top parts

I hope I understood that correct. Apparently, it was not as easy as I thought but thank you very much for your help.

exactly right!
(an equation component could have been used instead of larger than)
you see, that is the reason you should plan transitioning to programming if you want to get serious about parametric designing.
visual programming means you have to use 10 building blocks to achieve something you could do with a few lines of code.

1 Like

Yes, I really want to improve my programming skills in regards to implementation into Grasshopper. I have decent MATLAB skills and have tried Python a bit, but it sounds like you need C# for implementation into GH.

IMO this is a smooth (well … almost) transition (but tricky to achieve even via several lines of C#). If you decide to dive into coding drop a word.

That looks really nice! I will write to you if I need anything, thank you

BTW: If you are after similar stuff have in mind:

1. The first thing is from where the envelope is visible. If from inside then KNAUF provides boards that can emulate double curvatures (and deal with acoustics and thermal expansions). If from outside then Google: KALZIP (use only Foamglas insulation and NO vapor barrier).

2. Then is the big thing (LBS): if made from concrete (avoid at any cost) you’ll need tons of dollars and an aroma of dead - long time ago - things. If made from some sort of hybrid W truss (MERO KK + columns at conic axis etc) you’ll need to compute the proper truss with variable W - thiner towards the lips (that’s very tricky). Avoid waffle (metal or wood) type of systems (heavy and pointless unless you want an ultra glitz carbon fibre solution).

Hey man, looks really solid… would be nice, if you could share the C#/.gh file!

Greetings, Rudi