Smooth Morph 3D with Smooth Morphed Edges (Use UV space instead of Normal for edges?)

Hey -

I’m using the Morph 3D command to map a box-like object to sections of a surface. I understand how to assign smoothing surfaces to grid 1 and grid 2 in order to make the outer faces of my morphed boxes smoothly match the surface that generated grids 1 & 2.

However, my grids represent sections of surfaces that are by intention, not perfectly normal to to the surfaces themselves. This is resulting in an outcome where even though the outer faces of my morphed objects are smooth, the interior surfaces (faces between panels or at the edge of the paneling grid) are not smoothly continuous. The are following the normal of the smoothing surface, not what I intend. Screenshot here:

I’m trying to make my paneled objects morph smoothly in a way that all boundaries of the morphed object are smoothly morphed to not only my exterior surfaces, but the interior “slices” or sections.

Is it possible for Morph 3D to use the UV curves of the smoothing surface when mapping the morphed objects, instead of the smoothing surface normals? I believe this would fix my issue.

Adding another screenshot of an area where this is even more pronounced. Green lines are the lines I want my panels to follow smoothly (and are the UV curves of the underlying surface):

Basically: as the curvature of the smoothing surfaces gets more extreme, the fact that the smoothing logic uses surface normal instead of surface UV space causes the morphed panels to be increasingly uneven. Any tips on how to avoid this, or alternative solutions, would be greatly appreciated.

Can you please share the file?

Attached is a simple grasshopper file that shows this issue. Screenshot below, where you can see the blue lines representing the “surface slices” I’m using to generate the paneling grid, but the paneling grids are determining their edge surfaces via the normal of the smoothing surfaces, not the surface that would cleanly follow my slice curves (or the UV space of the underlying surface):

And here is the grasshopper example that generates it:
Disjoint Edges v0.1.gh (38.9 KB)

I do see your problem, but this a limitation in how the PanelingTools morph works. The morphing or a straight edged box will likely not follow the isocurves of the bounding surfaces.
If this is your intention, you might want to split the surface with isocurves to create the exact bounding patches, then offset those?

Thanks for the response and suggestion. I’m not sure I understand, but maybe it is because I wasn’t clear with my example: The “sample boxes” being morphed in this file are only for testing purposes. The real geometry I am using is a much heavier and more complex object, which could not be recreated by “manually paneling” by lofting between slices of the smoothing surface.

But it sounds like, from your second sentence, that Paneling Tools inherently cannot use the isocurves of the smoothing surfaces to inform the geometry of the panel edges. Is that correct?

It depends. How grid points align with the surface iso, and how complex the surface is, and if the bounding geometry is a polysurface, but yes you cannot assume it will follow the iso curves of the 2 bounding surfaces.
The command calculates an approximate patch of the bounding surfaces that is bound by the unit grid, then morph to that volume.

Thanks for the explanation.