Slow Load Times

I have been encountering increasingly lengthy times to load Rhino files. In some cases files will load immediately and others it will take several minutes. The load time is unrelated to the file size. I can have a 70MB file load instantly and another 3MB file take five minutes.

In all cases I am reading from a local disk.

I am wondering this is being caused by file versioning.

Hi John -
I can’t say I’ve heard about this before.
Would it be possible to post that 3MB file that takes 5 minutes?
-wim

I just uploaded one to the suppoort web site. I was able to do all the steps to upload and it’s still loading on rhino here.

Hi @miano,

I can open your file in Rhino 7.19 with do delay on Mac and also Windows. I have one thought in addition to your versions idea. I am wondering if the layout Page 1 being active is a factor on your Mac and macOS. See if not having a layout view active when the file is saved changes how fast it opens for you next time. Also try the file location in a non-iCloud synced folder as a test too.

Reply back here or on the tech email to let us know what you found. We’ll probably need your current SystemInfo too if you need more help.

I does seem to load a lot faster when the layout is not active.

I will keep a look for that with other files that are slow.

I am not synched to iCloud.

1 Like

Okay, what macOS are you on? SystemInfo?

Rhino 7 SR19 2022-6-29 (Rhino 7, 7.19.22180.09002, Git hash:master @ 87eeb0270c74a3e5ecc603402afbf263ed32b37d)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-06-29
License details: Cloud Zoo

Apple macOS Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G9323) (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1
Language: en-US (MacOS default)

AMD Radeon Pro 560X OpenGL Engine (OpenGL ver:4.1 ATI-2.11.26)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.1
Shading Language: 4.10
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: n/a
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 560X
Displays: Color LCD (258dpi 2x)

Graphics processors
Intel UHD Graphics 630 (1536 MB)
Radeon Pro 560X (4 GB)
Color LCD (1680 x 1050)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: Touch Bar Backlight
Apple Inc.: Touch Bar Display
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple: Headset
Apple Inc.: Ambient Light Sensor
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: Apple T2 Controller

Bluetooth devices
None

Third party kernel extensions
None

Third party plugins
/usr/lib/log/liblog_network.dylib

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.19.22180.9002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 7.19.22180.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.19.22180.9002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 7.19.22180.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools” 7.19.22180.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.19.22180.9002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 7.19.22180.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.19.22180.9002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 7.19.22180.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.19.22180.9002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.19.22180.9002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render” 7.19.22180.1002

Any news on this? I have a new ARM mac and still see this problem. Sometimes a file loads instantly. Other times, it can take 10 minutes to load the same file. Importing the file is instant.

Hi John -

That’s new information in this thread. Please try to find a pattern in this behavior. Is it slow or fast after a reboot and the opposite after working for a long time? Are other programs running in the background? Can you spot anything out of the ordinary in the Activity Monitor?

As for this one, on Rhino 8, you could try the TestToggleMacAutosaveVersions command to turn off versioning. It’d be interesting to see if that makes the behavior go away.
-wim

Right now I am swamped with work. When I get a break I will try installing V8.

I forgot to add that I get the same problem creating a new file.

I presume that Rhino’s NEW function treats a template as the input file.

Another very slow thing on my system:

1. Open a file (slow)
  2. Change the visible layers
  3. Copy something to another file
  4. Close the file and select Revert. (This can take several minutes).

Slow loads seem to be a bigger problem on network drives. The problem for identification is that the time is not consistent. Sometimes instantaneous. Sometimes minutes to load.

Rebooting seems to remedy briefly but the slow load times quickly return.

More details, this problem exists even when just creating a new file.

I am on a FILE>New from Template right now that has taken 5 minutes so far.

Let me add another data point. All other others I have seen on both my old Intel Mac and my ARM mac.

This one I have only seen on the ARM.

My Activity Monitor looks like this with great regularity:

Sometimes it will take 10 minutes for Rhino to open a file or create a new file. At other times it never opens or creates the file. I have left it over night and not gotten a file to open.

If I kill Rhino at this point, Rhino might start up.
Frequently however, if I try to restart Rhino I will get a dot below the Rhino icon on the dock. However, Rhino does not show up Activity Monitor.

At that point I have to reboot to get Rhino to run again. If I am working hard with Rhino I am doing half dozen boots a day because of this.

Rhinio is the only application where I have this problem.

More details:

The slow loads occur both on networked and local (SSD) disk.
It is not a function of the file that causes slow loading. Any file can take 5 minutes or more to load. The problem goes away (briefly) after rebooting.

I “upgraded” to OS V14.0, and so far I have not seen any slow load times. Fingers crossed.

After several days of use, it appears this problem disappears with OS V14.

1 Like