Slightly more advanced modelling techniques?

Hi everyone, this is more of a modelling related question, rather than a technical issue but I’m hoping someone might be able to help!

I’d consider myself a fairly decent modeler, but when it comes to more complex forms, I’m not there yet. I’m attempting to model a window handle, but don’t really know how to go about it. I’m interested not just in your help with this specific piece, but also for a more generalised method for going about modelling an existing form such as this one.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think the Level 2 training guide has an exercise where you work from two hand sketched views (top and side), for a remote control.
The techniques used there would be a good starting point.

Than can downloaded here:
https://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino/5.0/Rhino5Level2Training/

-Willem

The first and probably most important step in modeling an object is to look carefully at it from different angles. Look at the overall object as well as individual parts. Identify defining curves and lines. Consider how the surface of the object might be divided into regions, and how those regions relate to each other. Identify features such as holes, fillets and blend areas. Think about how the object was made and the effect that had on it’s shape. For molded or cast objects think about how the original pattern may have been created - was it randomly carved out of a solid block, or made in a systematic series of steps with features added as well as subtracted.

1 Like

Thanks for your replies. I downloaded the Level 2 guide and there’s a lot of useful information in there that will be of great help to me.

I actually started out in 3d using 3ds Max to model cars, so I am experienced with the construction of relatively complex forms. In fact I don’t think I would have a problem modelling this in 3ds Max, since it seems to be more of a feedback based system of modelling- you can push and pull things around in 3D until they fall into place.

I vastly prefer Rhino to 3ds max for many reasons, but have mostly used it for architectural work which (so far for me) has been relatively simple by comparison. Using rhino for this type of model intimidates me in some way- almost as if you need to know exactly how you are going to build the object before starting.

David- your general advice was really good, but could you add to it by suggesting how you might approach modelling the example photo I posted - ie. Which curve or surface would you use as a starting point, where you might go from there, etc. I hope this isn’t too much to ask- your feedback has been most valuable.

That part where you say “exactly” . I think that is where a lot of us have trouble. Some people model for months on something. Others don’t have the time. When it(the model, project)is all done and you can see where it could have been better. I think that is the exactly part we all wish to have. That is for second chances or improvements if they come. I guess that is where experience is our friend.
I want to see more advanced modeling techniques that improves understanding of editing surfaces and the relationships between surfaces.
All of this didn’t relate yoo much with your question, but the more you work with the software the more friendly it becomes. —Mark

First Surface

Second Surface

Third Surface

Then fillet the edges. The end of the handle is a bit ambiguous from a modelling perspective, it might be best to form it with a fourth surface.

1 Like

Seems obvious now you’ve shown me how! :sweat_smile:

But seriously, thank you so much!