Slab materials

• does this have anything to do with this tread ???
    I would like to politely ask you to stay on topic …

Hi @walther,

Try to use the Render command instead of the Octane realtime render window. Here is what I get:

The problem is that VisualARQ is using two different techniques to solve the Z-fighting:

• Real-time viewports: as they are rendered using OpenGL, the depth buffer precision is very low, VisualARQ tries to compute a dynamic depth bias big enough to hide Z-fighting, but small enough to not be visible.
  • Renders: when a render asks for the render mesh of a VisualARQ object, VisualARQ returns a offset mesh by a very small distance (~1e-6), which solves the Z-fighting as renders tend to use double-floating precision.

Anyway, I think I can use the offset mesh also for display, in combination with the depth bias, which will solve also the issue on real-time renders like Octane.

Regarding the T-join issue, I’ll take a look now.

Thanks,

Enric

2 Likes

Hi @walther,

Here is a new installer of VisualARQ 2.6 for Rhino 6:
https://visualarq.s3.amazonaws.com/download/visualarq-2.6.0.13540-rhino6-setup-snapshot.msi

This version fixes the following bugs from the previous build:

• Thin layers were not visible in walls with a middle joined wall (T-joint).
  • Thin layers were wrongly extended in walls with an arc curve path.
  • Fixed Z-fighting in Octane realtime render.
  • Fixed double meshes in Octane render.
  • Improved depth bias in real-time display.

There are still some issues that we’ll try to fix:

• Depth bias is still too big in some cases, which make thin layers appear on top of other objects.
  • Octane real-time display doesn’t use the correct texture mapping. I’ll contact OTOY, as this is something that needs to be fixed in their end.

Please test it, and let me know any issue you find.

Thanks,

Enric

2 Likes

Cool, a real step forward ! Did a quick test, normal orthogonal walls and slabs seem to work great , the curved wall still has some issues… do you want me to send you the 3dm file?

best

Andreas

Hi @walther,

Yes please, send me the file to visualarq@asuni.com.

Enric