Skew surface

Sorry, I had in mind degree 1 and degree 3. :slight_smile:

I also tried the command on a simple plane with 4 control points and degree 1 in both directions. It will not extend with the “Extend edge” command. However, if I rebuild it to degree 3 in both directions, it can be extended.
The interesting thing happens when I apply the command on the extended edge again. This time, it will extend the surface in an accelerated fashion. Example:

1 Like

Just wanted to make sure I understood correctly.
Cheers, Norbert

Well, it took 2 weeks, but today I had need for this feature, so I downloaded the plugin and tried it and for me it worked great!

Thank you, and looking forward to see future developments with multi-span support and non-distorted transforms as other users have reported (I only did a small tweak on a few single span surfaces so I did not notice any issues).

EDIT: Whoops, that didn’t take much. No, I now also see how linear edges quite quickly get distorted into curved edges… that’s unfortunately rather bad. :frowning:

EDIT 2: Seems I can also only extend the surface a little bit at a time. This happens sometimes with the built-in extend surface command as well, but it seems to happen more often with this plugin. It would also be very nice to get a projection preview line like you get with the built-in extend surface command. But that’s just gravy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

extend srf in wombat

+1 also came in use for me today. If you’re flowing something to a target, this was nice for me to nudge the target a bit without concentrating too much space for one CV.

Also yeah I experienced the very small amount of accepted extension. Otherwise seems like a no brainer as the sort of functionality to add really I’d say!

Pascal - anyway this could apply to control objects too?

Hi Jonathan - a quick look says this is probably doable but I have not really investigated properly yet…

-Pascal

Mark, I made a version that attaches the surface to a mesh - if you’re reverse engineering from a scan for the carbon part, it might be helpful. Shout if you want to try, I think it works OK.

-Pascal

Pascal, did you post this version somewhere?

Hi @pascal
This plugins not suport for Rhino5. can you upload python file? Thanks

Risking derailing my own thread here, but today I could have used a skew hull script as well: :slight_smile:

(I have the luxury of a very expensive solution, but still, jumping between apps is a bit tedious…)

GIF 09.06.2020 11-10-40 ns

7 Likes

I wonder if the new SoftTransform in WIP could, at some point, achieve something like this.

The one problem with your video is that I can’t unsee it… :innocent: Damn, I would love to see such an incredible control point modification in Rhino.

5 Likes

This, for example, is one of the neglected aspects in Rhino … It is not enough just to provide SubDs …

1 Like

That is Alias, right?

Seriously if your initial surface looks like this, I would rebuild it to a 3x3 or 3x2 patch, then to 6x6 and rematch again.
Anyway, same feature can be found in Icem, just with less clicking involved. You select a point you move a point, you select the line you move the whole line. Selecting 3 out of 6 cps is rare, so the benefit of tangential selecting it like this is low and leads to a lot of clicking. Alias is a bit selection heavy in general.

1 Like

While I agree with you that this is the best way to handle simple and relatively square surfaces (even if they are bent), Rhino’s “Blend surface” has one nice advantage that lets you use a single surface across tens of surface edges. And it’s a huge time saver for projects that don’t require perfect Class-a finish, such like tool making.

Take this rear bumper plug, for example. It has multiple super long blend surfaces that I built much quicker than what it usually takes if I had to use multiple separate single span degree 5 surfaces. I only had to use “Rebuild surface UV” to simplify it, and then manually move some control points with the “Move UVN” tool to make the flow better (this is where the Alias approach shown in your video could be a big time saver). Then, I used “Match surface” with the “Chain edges” option, which is fantastic. If I had to do that in Alias, I guess that it would take multiple times more minutes.

@Pascal, do you have any updates on this wonderful script that extend it gradually, i.e. without the acceleration factor that I described in post Skew surface - #41 by Rhino_Bulgaria? I noticed that you posted a different version of your script in another topic, but this time around its size has doubled. Which one of these works better? :slight_smile:
Wish - ExtendDynamic - Corner Option? - #2 by pascal

@Rhino_Bulgaria - I have not done anything more… but hopefully whichever is the latest one works best - here is what I have-

ExtendSurfaceEdge.rhp (42.5 KB)

-Pascal

2 Likes

Thank you! I will take a look at it when I get back at work. :slight_smile: