Skeletonize a model

I’ve got models build off of contour data (stacks of circles that make up tubes).

I’d like to turn these models into ‘skeletons’ by drawing a line through the center of the stack of circles. One could do this by finding the center of each circle and creating a point, then connecting each of these points.

Is there a build in command for this in RhinoCAD?

Thanks in advance!
M

Hi mmorehea - here is a quick script that should help- To use the script, extract and save the .rvb file from the attached zip archive, then drag and drop the saved rvb over an open Rhino V4 or v5 window. This will load the script, set it up to load on startup in the future and register the alias

ConnectCenters

that will run the script much like a regular command. An alias can be typed or added to a toolbar button or keyboard shortcut (F-key).

File is here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9I2GwBv5RczYnIta1JaWVJvLW8/edit?usp=sharing

until we can fix the uploader.

-Pascal

Thanks for the quick reply Pascal!

Is there anything similar for a connected mesh? For example, if I had a cat model, could I find the skeleton of the cat?

Ala http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~palagyi/skel/skel.html#Introduction

Cheers and thank you!
M

Hmmm, no, I mean, I imagine it is possible but I don’t have a good idea how to go about this in a script, off hand.

-Pascal

Pascal, would this be feasible in two stages? The mesh gets sectioned/contoured manually. Then run a modified version of ‘connect centers’ that finds the center points of the resulting closed poly curve sections.

Hi CarveCream- yeah- that would certainly be possible if that is the result the user wants. I was looking at the more esoteric definition/illustration of skeletonizing below. I did not see the top image it was scrolled up. Yes, the process you describe should be doable - you’d need some kind of initial guess curve to drive the sectioning though, I would think.

-Pascal

yah was just thinking full manual direction and cutoff of the contours would be necessary. In the case of cat mesh, from the ground up to the start of the body for the legs, then longitudinal direction for the body and head. But the ‘connect centers’ working with non-circles would be nice.

Hello mmorehea
I am struggling to the skeleton of a surface, have you got the answer for your concerns?