how can i do it?

It is explained in the link https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/unblockplugin

1 Like

thanks a lot

Hello,
I’m having trouble installing Fattener.gha in Rhino 7
I copy paste it to the grasshopper components folder

but I still get this message

Can you please let me know what I’m missing?
Thanks!

I unblocked it and now it’s working!

2 Likes

Hi @DanielPiker ,
Thank you for developing this component. Question, I am trying to deform a curve. So I extracted points from it and created two meshes in Rhino. But result is unexpected :slight_smile:
Sorry can’t share the actual file
Thank you

It’s very hard for me to help at all here without any file. If it’s a confidentiality issue you can either extract the relevant part, or send me the file directly.

Thank you Daniel,
Give me a minute I will recreate a simple example.

Hi @DanielPiker
Here you go… Basically I want the cage to behave like Rhino mesh cage so I can deform curves before I apply any profiles to them. I could build a desire curve in grasshopper but I need a cage so other people can play with the shape…
testMorph.gh (5.9 KB)
testMorph.3dm (2.4 MB)

Ah, I see the problems here.

For the mesh cage morph to work, the reference and target mesh need to have matching topology, including vertex ordering.

The deformed target mesh should be created by taking the reference mesh (after cleaning, because welding vertices later could change the ordering) and moving its vertices.

The second problem is that your reference mesh is non-manifold. There’s an internal face near the top.

So create a clean manifold mesh as the reference cage, then move the vertices of this to get the target deformed cage, and it should work.

1 Like

The base mesh has non manifold edges and an internal face.

Here’s a GH file with cleaned meshes internalized

testMorph.gh (30.0 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you. I was exporting cage meshes from different software as OBJ. Will see if I can import two meshes and keep the point order identical.
If not will have to create it in Rhino

Depending on how far and in what direction the vertices are deformed, you can sometimes match the topology of 2 meshes using closest points.

In your example just pure distance mismatched some areas, but I noticed the deformation was purely horizontal, so you can solve it by scaling vertically (to weight vertical distance higher) to get the matching indices:

meshvertmatch.gh (16.3 KB)

1 Like

Oh, this is cool. Haven’t thought about it. It might be easer in my case.

Hey, @martinsiegrist how did you fixed the mesh?

Hi @DanielPiker
Can your plugin work with surfaces ? or just meshes at the moment

It is very easy. First I analyzed the simple base mesh for open / manifold edges.

I saw the faulty mesh face inside so I deleted it.

Second step I copied the clean mesh and scaled each level with the gumball according to your other tower shape, the target mesh.

Morning @DanielPiker

Dont understand why points within two almost identical cages are scaled in z direction?
I have created two cages in Grasshopper and topology is identical , but it is still behaves in a wrong way.

Thanks for help

Cage.gh (16.2 KB)

Ok I see the mesh have to be closed… :slight_smile: