After being ‘illuminated’ by @sgreenawalt on being mindful about surface quality through his YouTube videos, I decided to give it a shot and change up my workflow.
I mostly use rhino to model eyewear frames for injection molding. Even though the products themselves are quite small, we can still notice some tangency/curvature imperfections on high gloss finishes after molding. These may require a lot of time in postprocessing to correct and achieve a high quality product.
Secondly, simpler models would make it much easier to make minor adjustments to our models. Right now, we generally re-model the whole frame if we need to modify its design.
The biggest obstacle I have found in adopting the ‘sculpt and match’ workflow is that we heavily rely on the project command to define our geometry. A frame is built around the lens, which come in various specific spherical diameters. Therefore, we currently project our frame silhouette on surfaces equal in curvature to the lens.
Ideally, we would like to keep the frames’ front surface as a whole. This is easily achieved by projecting and trimming. While I have tried several patch layouts, I cannot seem to find a way to avoid 5-sided surfaces.