Simple Text Fillet Fail

rhino

I really feel like this should work - text curves extruded solid but can’t fillet. If anybody would mind taking a look and letting me know just why they don’t work (and how to fix it) I would really appreciate it. I crash into this often and am never quite clear on why. Thank you!

(Chris Kuether ) #2

Mike, your file is just the outlines of the letters. There’s no extrusion to solid. But they do extrude, then you can cap them.

(Pascal Golay) #3

Hi Mike- what radius(i)? Should they all be the same? In any case, as is often the case with font curves, these are a lot less than ideal for surfacing - what I see so far is segments being out of tangent and segments that are short - less than 1 unit, Meaning that a 1 unit fillet is likely to fail or fail to trim into the solids.

@Mike_Verta - see the attached - some curves cleaned up - enough to make filleting work up to 1.5 mm on all - more than that you’ll run into problems from the curves themselves having a small radius in some locations. My curves are white, yhe originals on the red layer, in case you want to compare - look around the ends of the strokes on the R, A and Q, plus the big front curve on the R.

SSZ_Logo_PG.3dm (2.7 MB)

Oops, I see a screw-up on the D - looks like 1.45 may be the max there for a constant radius fillet.

-Pascal

Thanks so much for this… let me take a look before asking about your specific process. Respect!

Pascal -

Is your process just Surface>Extrude Curve>Straight ([distance],Yes Solid), and then attempting to select all the solid edges and fillet? I notice the R doesn’t seem to work even with a radius of .5 or 1. Your white curves themselves seem fine…?

(Pascal Golay) #6

Hi MIke - yes, I extruded the curves solid, then crossing-window selected the front and ‘vertical’ edge from a side view, all at once. (i.e. not the back edges)

-Pascal

Yep, that’s what I did too, but that R still doesn’t seem to fillet. Hmmm…

(Pascal Golay) #8

Hi Mike - can you export that and the input curve you used and post it here? I’ll take a look.

-Pascal

(Pascal Golay) #10

OK - I included the edges in the extrusion direction as well. BTW, you can attach files directly from this editor - use the ‘up arrow’ icon when creating or editing a post.You can see where it gets funky - at the crease in the front of the R - the two converging fillets do not fully intersect so cannot be trimmed to each other - adding that ‘crease’ fillet lets it all work out.

-Pascal

This is so weird because no combination of edge selections are working for me…!

(Pascal Golay) #12

Hm - that one works here but I see I was careless with my layer assignments of the fixed and unfixed curves. Hold on a second please…

@Mike_Verta - these edges - all at once:

BUT, your R file is scaled differently than the orginal - smaller, so the max radius will be correspondingly smaller…

(Also, I’d work on this starting with a file tolerance of .001, not .01. On the smaller file, the size of the fillet radius is getting to be too small for .01 tolerance.)

-Pascal

This is what I get with even a small .5 radius. You too?

(Pascal Golay) #14

Yeah - that front curve on the R ought to be replaced with a single smooth curve as I did on the D. Font curves are not made for surface modeling- you may end up doing quite a bit of cleanup.

-Pascal