Simple starwheel boolean union works and fails

Hi,
V5
I can boolean union two arms and another two arms, but to even then union those fails , let alone the entire thing.
I want to cylinder fill the middle, and offset that 1 micron as that failed, and still it fails.

I want this to be a cutter out of a solid rectangular area, but unless I can get a union, it wont boolean difference.

and its an urgent job,
always the same just when something is urgent a simple thing fails.

BOOLEAN UNION FAIL STAR.3dm (218.6 KB)

Steve

Hi Steve

Explode the cylinder, make it back into solid and try again; it should work then

hi, take cylinder move to right 2 inches, explode, then join then move bacl to left select all and union.

fail.

ALSO I CAN TAKE TWO STICKS UNION, GOOD.

TALE 3 STICKS ADJACENT, UNION , FAIL.

AAAAARGH !!!

steve

I don’t have Rhino 5 here, but in Rhino 8 I did:

1. Copy one stick and the circle to another layer, hide your OUTERS layer

2. ArrayPolar the one stick, create 45 copies over the full circle

3. Cut the sticks with the circle

4. Extrude the circle to cylinder 1mm

5. Select everything except the circle

6. BooleanUnion

BOOLEAN_UNION__SUCCESS__STAR.3dm (1.4 MB)

You probably can do that too with Rhino 5 except the cutting with gumball where you need to trim the sticks that are arrayed.

HI
before this posy of the array,
i draw two sticks and arraypolar etc, see attached, solid extrude says self intersecting.
fails.
BOOLEAN UNION FAIL STAR SELF INTERSECTING.3dm (669.3 KB)

Steve

To me sounds like your approach is incorrect. I’d draw just the one stick, then array accordingly. The curve you shared in your second file is an open curve, it cannot extrude into a solid

Anyway, the way I proposed should work for you too I believe (and I attached a version of a successful boolean union).