Sidebar problem in 5.1

I usually hide left sidebar and unhide it only when I need it.
There was no problem at all with this behaviour until 5.0.2.
Since 5.1, when I unhide the left sidebar, app starts to drag response and hang.
After few more seconds, whole my El Capitan system freezes.
Reinstall didn’t solve the problem.
So I’ve moved back to 5.0.2…
Will it be fixed next version?

Hello- how are you showing the sidebar - are things set up to show this with the mouse hitting the edge of the Rhino window, or are you opening it ‘by hand’ using the little icon in the upper left? Or? What theme is set in Preferences > Themes?

thanks,

-Pascal

First of all, I had to carry on with my work with limited time. So I couldn’t recorded it properly on my head how it acted…
I unhide the left sidebar with both shortcut CMD+0 or using icon in the upper left. And I use theme as custom, ‘show top tool palette’ enabled with modified palette from custom made command set. Also I use ‘command option dialog’ instead of ‘command option in sidebar’, and sidebar palette is set to ‘main+standard’, and number of inspectors sidebar section is set to 1. One of interesting state was when I unhide left sidebar with right sidebar hidden, it sometimes behaves normal.

I also have this very annoying problem with the right sidebar - both in 5.1 and 5C95w. It’s even worse in the WIP. It’s getting impossible to work after a while when you open and close the sidebar - the response getting slower and slower and at the end the whole system hangs (EL Capitan) - have to push the power button to close (pressing alt+cmd+esc have no effect). I open and close the sidebar with this right-screen-edge macro: ToggleRightSidebar.

This is a very serious (El Capitan?)problem and should be fixed asap. I don’t remember having this problem in Yosemite. It’s making it (almost) impossible to work. I can of course keep the sidebar open all the time at the expense of a smaller workspace - and a slightly slower UI…

I bought a new(er) MacBook Pro (early 2011) to be able to work at all. Rhino is working fine on this machine - accept for this problem. I really can’t afford a new MBP right now…

Specs:
Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.2 WIP (5C95w)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.11.3 (Build 15D21)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro8,3
Processor: Intel Core i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
Memory: 8 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Memory: 1024 MB
Screen size: 2560 x 1440, 1920 x 1200
Displays: LED Cinema Display (109dpi 1x), Color LCD (133dpi 1x)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Logitech: USB Receiver
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Kingston: DataTraveler SE9
Apple Inc.: Apple LED Cinema Display
Apple Inc.: Display iSight
Apple Inc.: Display Audio
Elgato: EyeTV Hybrid
Apple Computer, Inc.: IR Receiver

Bluetooth devices
Apple: Apple Wireless Keyboard
Apple: Apple Wireless Trackpad

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 ATI-1.40.16
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 4x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

@marlin and @dan: please help! Thank you!

Philip

We need to get more information to be able to duplicate this.

Does the right sidebar slowdown happen with an empty file, or only with a specific file? How long is “after a while”? What are the sections (layers, objects, etc.) that you have configured in your right sidebar?

The right sidebar can be ‘slow’ even with an empty file. I opened Rhino and just started hitting the right screen edge (about once every 3…4 seconds). After perhaps 5…10 hits the sidebar became unresponsive (took a few seconds to open and/or close). I let the file ‘rest’ for a minute and tried again and everything was back to normal - no delays. Then I made a few boxes (well 1000, to be exact) - no delays. Deleted the boxes, opened the material editor and dragged some materials from ‘standard materials’ to ‘model materials’ (didn’t assign them to any layer or object). Unresponsive behaviour back. Deleted the materials. Made three boxes. Assigned three different materials to the boxes. Everything was ok. At some point I assigned materials to layers - delay back. Deleted the materials. Assigned materials again by object (the same three boxes). Now I got a delay again…!?! The whole pattern seems a bit random…

I didn’t, however, get the beachball and Rhino didn’t hang as it did with a model with Maxwell materials (assigned in WinRhino). In this file I have to have the sidebar open all the time if I don’t want to have the beachball spinning every now and then - and perhaps have Rhino to become unresponsive and hang.

Correction: closing the sidebar is almost instant - opening it causes a delay…

I have layers, object properties and notes in the right sidebar.

Philip

I am able to duplicate this from time to time on 10.11.3. I toggle the right sidebar a lot, then I drag the lower left corner around a lot, then repeat these two steps some more. Both these activities force the viewports to redraw a lot. I did this test with RhinoWIP 5C95w.

I have Activity Monitor open where I can watch the CPU usage of RhinoWIP while doing this. At some point CPU usage shoots above 90% and then Rhino starts stuttering. Very soon the whole machine freezes; even Activity Monitor stops updating. After a second or two, the machine unlocks. Activity Monitor catches up by displaying lots of updates in less than a second, and Rhino is responsive again.

I did the same test with El Capitan (10.10.5) using RhinoWIP 5C95w and the same model. I could never repeat this behavior on 10.10.5. I was even using the exact same computer. Same version of Rhino. Same 3DM file. I have a testing computer that dual boots to both 10.10 and 10.11.

Nothing Rhino does should ever be able to lock up the entire computer, even temporarily, but that is what I see. This certainly seems OS 10.11 dependent, and I’m not sure where to look. I’ll log this and look at this from time to time. When the whole computer locks up, so would any tools I use for measuring what Rhino is doing, so finding out what might be causing this is not going to be easy.

Oh well, what can I say… Thank you - and good luck :slightly_smiling: I really hope you’ll find the problem.

Philip