Side Panel Hide/Show[Solved]

Is this in the wish list for V6?
Able to show and hide of side toolpanel?
Would love to have it.

Do you mean the Docking Panels like Layer, Properties, Help, etc.?
Click on the Layer or Properties icon and they will open. If they aren’t docked to the right side, drag them over there so they do.

@John_Brock
Yes the Docking panel. Couldn’t remember the term for it.

Will there be like a single button to show/hide those docking panels?
(I used to use mac and wondering if something similar would come to windows, no need for fancy sliding out effect…

or can this be done with a macro?

Hi
I doubt this can be scripted, but there is no need.
They are super simple to use and described in the Help file for Rhino for Windows.
Mac does not have Panels that the user can resize, rearrange, and dock, by dragging them around with your Mouse. Mac has fixed “inspector panels” that can be populated but aren’t nearly as easily manipulated and customized as Windows.

There is a getting started tutorial that shows these interface basics here:

Everything is simple to use, I was thinking to get more space for the viewports by if possible.
I’ll stick to using fullscreen in that case.
Thank you for the reply.

I agree, there should be a single click to “roll up” the palettes against the side of the screen. This is common in illustration programs (Illustrator, Draw). There was discussion about it when versio 5 was being developed but it seems to have fallen by the wayside.

1 Like

Here’s a simple button macro that turns on Properties, Layers, and Display with a left mouse click and hides them all with a right mouse click:

2 Likes

Cool! Thank you!
Changed status to Solved!

Darn…
I’ve been patiently waiting for RH-35026 to be fixed and somehow let it slip through a change log without noticing it .

Then again, it’s not listed here and doesn’t show up in any of the logs that I’ve downloaded… so this was probably not announced at all…

@johnM, that issue isn’t fixed. I can put properties and layer as I want on top of each other and then exit Rhino. Start Rhino again and hitting F3 and F4 (see bug description) will put these side-by-side again.

The bug report you referenced is for a different issue. It has to do with docked, separate panel containers. I don’t know the current status on that. I did add a new bug report for that problem.

The macro I posted opens and closes three panels in a single panel container, using a single icon click.

While similar, they are different issues.

Well…

1. Could you let me know what the RH number is for the new issue? As far as I can tell, the RH-35026 should just be re-opened.

2. When I run your macro, I get the following result:

Macros cannot tell Rhino to use a single or several panel containers - Rhino is just supposed to remember where the user put them. And that is not happening.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-42292

1 Like

If you drag your three panels into the same container, then close and restart Rhino, do they come back in the same place?
Then if you use the macros to close and open them do they work?

I think this relies on the panels being in one container and not stacked.

I’m still working on this but just saying that so far that has completely messed up containers and panels…
(6.0.17303.23521, 2017-10-30)

Also, could you open RH-42292 to the public?

Sorry, try now.

Thanks John!
A fresh Rhino now.

Yes.

Yes.

No.
With the macro, this is what I get:

Moving the Layers panel-container to the side actually moves the Display panel-container, revealing the Layer panel-container:

Very strange.
On my system, they just open and close all in one container.
I can’t explain it.

!LayersTab
DisplayProperties
Properties

!-Layer V N Enter
-DisplayProperties V N Enter
-Properties V N Enter

@John_Brock
I’m getting the same with latest WIP as WIM is.
Got a weird one this time…
Got two windows docked but one floating…

Hi Toshiaki -

the “!” character needs a space after, just fyi.

Here, the macro ! -Properties V N Enter only works if Properties is currently in front or floating.
I don’t think this is working right.

-Pascal

Excuse me for resurrecting this old thread, but I find this issue still occurring. Is there a possibility to hide the properties panel with a macro if it is not in front or floating?