Show Negative Rotation Angle

Sometimes I use rotate just to see how an object aligns to another object. I often look to the bottom left of the screen to see the rotation angle live. If I rotate CCW it gives me values of 0-180 but if I rotate CW it gives me values of 180-360. I understand why it does this, but I would actually prefer if the angles in the CW direction to be 0 to -180 (it’s just easier to understand). Is there a setting I can tweak to force the display of negative angles instead of 180-360?

Hi Lawrence - there is no setting that I know of. Just a thought but for now you could make a macro for the rotate command which flips the CPlane temproarily

! _CPLane _Rotate X 180 _Rotate _Pause _Pause _Pause _CPlane _Previous

for when you want to measure clockwise. (The first Rotate is an option in the CPlane command, the second is the Rotate command)

-Pascal

Thanks for the suggestion @pascal

For me, when I work quickly I don’t necessarily process if the rotation is CCW or CW. Using your macro would have to be something deliberate at the beginning. If only the rotate command could just have the option of showing negative angles…

He is not talking about measuring. He is talking about the software accurately showing the user what is going on.

As an example, the user can rotate an object -20 or +340. The
result is the same but the feedback from the software should show
the method the user chose to do and not some goofy interpretation that the software programmer thinks is more correct. The user wants to see feedback showing what he is doing not what some programmer thinks he should be doing.

The same applies for the value shown the next time the rotate command is run. If you chose to rotate 340 degrees then it should show that as the repeat value. If you chose to rotate -20 it should show -20.

-jim

2 Likes

Yes. I was offering a possible workaround, not a solution. ‘for now’ was the give away.

-Pascal

Sorry, I wasn’t being clear.

My proposed solution is to not have another setting but instead just always show feedback that reflects the user’s actual input values.

If the user wants to see feedback as 340 degrees it can be input to show that and if the user wants to see -20, that input is also available.

-jim

Hi jim - I may be misunderstanding you or Lawrence, but my understanding of what Lawrence does is rotate an object free-hand, so to speak, and reads the angle off of the status bar feedback as a rough measure of the angle - i.e. there is no numeric input… I’ve had coffee but I may need another.

-Pascal

You are right @pascal, but after reading the comments from @jim I think that it could be a quick fix if you displayed both the positive and negative angle. If knowing 270°CCW is as important as knowing -90°CCW, then shouldn’t knowing -270°CCW be as important as knowing 90°CCW? I don’t mind having a bias towards CCW, but does anyone find it easier to perceive 315°CCW than -45°CCW?

It doesn’t matter if the input is freehand or numeric.

You can rotate free-hand either way. If Lawrence wants to see the feedback as 340 degrees (for example) he can rotate clockwise if he wants feedback that shows it as -20 degrees he can rotate CCW. The numeric feedback should correspond with the visual feedback that freehand rotations already have.

There is no need for a setting to control this. The user can determine the angle display format on the fly.

1 Like

I understand what you are saying @jim. I can see the value of displaying angles greater than 180 (maybe even angles greater than 360). What you are describing is like winding a dial CCW or CW. SketchUp does it this way.

I’d like to back you, Jim, as I always think about SketchUp like angle approach when I want to rotate something with rotate command CW 17 degrees, which is actually 343 degrees (or -17, which is also a nice way to go). Interestingly, gumball does show it the way you want, you can just cancel the rotation every time you use it (unless you need a specific rotation ref point, then gumball can be a bit more getting used to)

Just a short thought about rotate. I wonder if you could have a one time osnap of “rotate from” . That way the software has a reference to start from.
I can slso see that the input of what your asking for. I think everyone can find the angle after the fact, but to see it happening would be a more direct way to the end result. Perhaps it would be a verification of what the user is thinking. —Mark

that’s how it works already when using _Rotate or _Rotate3D.

though i suppose you’re talking about rotating with the gumball ?

Yes Jeff you are right.

Hey everyone, the Rotate and Rotate3D command in WIP to be released this week will show a negative rotation angle as requested a few weeks ago.

Thanks,

– Dale

3 Likes

Thanks @dale