Show/Hide Layers in Details

Hi @brian, Will this be implemented in V6? This is a serious limitation when using Layout. Thanks.

No, it won’t be in V6.

Sad news, thanks for confirming.

Hi Brian, Yep a bit disappointing, but I guess there must be a good reason to take if off the list…

The reason we took it off the list is because it was added by mistake. We didn’t do all the work to fix this feature and then undo that work - the work was never done in the first place!

My experience was that it worked in many early versions of v5, but was changed as it was considered a bug!

Incredible but true!

Any chance we could get some behaviour that replicates the Show/Hide in Detail plus plugin? This plugin doesn’t work in v6.ShowHideinDetailPlusV5.zip (4.4 KB)

… even as a test command?

Example:
I have a file set up with 30+ Layout sheets most with multiple details.
I have just created a new layout that has an object in it, which only wants to display in one Detail on this Layout. It is a large object which will show up in all other Details.

To do this in v6 currently, I have to go through each Layout, Detail by Detail, and switch off that object’s Layer Detail visibility (or use HideInDetail)… Pretty tedious.

Previously this could be achieved by either:

• having the Global layer off and only on in that one Detail
  • using Show/Hide in Detail Plus.

Hi @Andrew,

With a detail active, right-click on a layer in the Layers panel and pick Layer On in this Detail only.

Does this help?

– Dale

2 Likes

Hi @dale,

This worked perfectly! Thank you, I didn’t notice that new command in v6. Very handy!
Are there other related commands?

(now to find the What’s New in v6 doc…)

Here are some scripts to hide or show layers in several page layouts.

HideLayerInLayoutDetails.py (1.1 KB)
ShowLayerInLayoutDetails.py (1.1 KB)

As an aside, they were a bit obtuse to write - I still can’t work out what scriptcontext is about, and there aren’t many rhino python functions for layouts and details.

3 Likes

So happy to see this, thanks!

Eric

Sorry to revive old an old topic. Has this been solved in V7?

Hi @benjamin - no, this item is still open and on the Future list - RH-19685.
-wim

Hi @dale,
is this possible on mac? I cannot find it.

This is still a very relevant issue. Perhaps if viewports could have two modes, a “Universal Layers” mode where object visibility was determined by ‘Modelspace’ visibility, and an “Independent Layers Assignment” mode, where visibility was completely independent of the global setting.

Then, with the viewport selected, the layers menu would allow the “Independent layer visibility” to be changed (Maybe a different coloured light globe or something could be used to show the different mode). Importantly, new layers should have visibility off by default for ‘Independent Layers Assignment’ mode, so adding layers of information to the document doesn’t mess with existing viewports.

For the one additional option (that could be located in the viewport properties) you have a setting that adds control for advanced users but doesn’t increase complexity for new users. It would give experienced users the freedome to model and Layout documents without one activity interfereing with another as well as the flexibility to stick to the ‘Universal Layers’ method for quick jobs. I’d be interested to hear what some of the Rhino veterans think

[The image mockup is an example only].

2 Likes

As you know, the tools just aren’t designed for that sort of control.
The main Layers control is global, meaning if a layer is off there, it’s off everywhere.
When you’re in a Layout , then the Layers Panel get’s additional Layout related controls.
Additionally there is HideInDetail

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-19685

Hi Dale,
Re your comment:
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-25711
I am moving this off to “Future” with the intent of working on this in V7.

Gives me hope! Can we expect we might get this feature sometime in V7?

Then please change the design of those tools to facilitate our work. This “global” layer behaviour tremendously complicates the documentation process in Rhino. In order to make sure that all the layer states in your layouts are functioning the way we’ve configured them to work, you have to turn on all layers on model space Who works like that? Imagine you have a coworker that needs to make a change to an specific part of the model, so he opens the file, turn every layer off but the layers he needs for the modification and once done he saves the file and closes it. Then, another member of the team opens the file and goes straight to the layouts to print without realising that many layers are off, and he/she only finds out after all the documentation has been printed!!

Another big problem is once you have configured all your layouts, and due to some revisions, you have to create a few new layers, suddenly you have all those new layers populated in every single detail!! Yes, I know there is a new feature in V6, only for Windows, that lets you activate a layer just in one detail, but still you have to make sure to navigate to those details and configure them manually.

All this problems would vanish away if layouts layers visibility wouldn’t be affected by model layers. Once a detail/layout has been configured let the layers configuration for that detail frozen.

I hope this makes sense,
José

6 Likes

Tbh the layout system is one of the more complicated systems to explain to my students. I like the idea of freezing the layer states for a certain detail once it is created. This would solve a lot of issues.

2 Likes