Short boolean test - Rhino vs. Moi

Hi,

for a quick render test I needed a frame. Curves extracted from a cube - pipes with round edges - boolean union. Rhino fails, MoI 3D create a perfect result. I’m impressed like MoI handle the three intersecting parts at the edges. I hope the Rhino boolean code can be refined for better results in the future.
Good luck.

Ciao,
Micha

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I could do this in Rhino like so

Box
DuplicateEdges
Pipe around edges of desired radius (no cap)
Sphere on each corner of desired radius
Boolean the 12 pipes and 8 spheres

boolean_cage.3dm (653.4 KB)

Nevertheless, Micha’s point is a good one. It’s not unreasonable for a 3D modeling beginner today (as well as an expert who wants to save time) to expect his software to, as Nike says, “just do it”.

1 Like

I totally agree. I wonder what MOI does here to get the boolean correct. I don’t have access to it, so I can’t test it. But extracting the edges of a cube and putting pipes around them will leave you with gaps on the corners. The spheres are then used to fill these gaps.

As far as I remember (but my memory has been proven to be wrong not all that long ago here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), MOI is using an external library - as was Rhino 1 - to do this. McNeel needed to write all of that themselves for RH2 and as such is independent of the whims of the 3rd party provider. The downside, of course, is that it’s quite an undertaking.

MoI’s “external” library is IntegrityWare’s modeling kernel AFAIK.

Rhino V3 actually. Rhino V2 and earlier used AGLib which was reworked and improved in-house. By Rhino 2.0, not that much was left of the original AGLib, much of it was already McNeel, IIRC… History here

–Mitch

1 Like